McCutchen wins Silver Slugger award
Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen on Thursday won his first Silver Slugger Award, which honor offensive prowess at each position. The awards are voted on by major league coaches and managers.
McCutchen led National League center fielders this season with a .327 batting average, 31 home runs, 96 RBI and a .953 on-base plus slugging percentage. Last week, he won a Gold Glove as the best defensive center fielder in the league.
McCutchen is the first Pirate to win the award since Jack Wilson in 2004. Seven other Pirates won Silver Sluggers: Jay Bell (1993), Barry Bonds (1990-92), Andy Van Slyke (1988, 1992), Bobby Bonilla (as a third baseman in 1988 and as an outfielder in 1990-1991), Johnny Ray (1983), Rick Rhoden (1984-1986) and Don Robinson (1982). The awards were first handed out in 1980.
Pirates hire former Yankees scout
The Pirates on Thursday hired Bill Livesey as senior advisor to the general manager.
Livesey, 72, had a long and distinguished career in scouting and player development with the New York Yankees.
The move came two days after Pirates owner Bob Nutting said the team must do a better job with scouting and player development.
“We need to have more scouts with a strong sense of the gut and the feel of, ‘This guy is a gamer. He can play. He can contribute,' ” Nutting said.
Livesey was a pro scout for the Yankees from 2008-11 and before that spent three seasons as a special assistant to the GM with the New York Mets. From 1978-95, he worked in all phases of player development and scouting for the Yankees, and oversaw the signings and development of Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.
Livesey also has held front office jobs with the Toronto Blue Jays and Tampa Bay Rays.
Last season, Pirates had five special assistants to the GM, including Dave Jauss , who recently was moved onto manager Clint Hurdle's coaching staff. A team spokesman said Livesey's role will be "to offer insight and advice on all things baseball operations. Bill also will have some special assignment scouting responsibilities and will be one of the key opinions as we evaluate our systems and personnel."
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-320-7811.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Cervelli’s inspiration
- Pirates hope 1st baseman Alvarez starts to regain power stroke
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, June 30, 2015
- Late rally falls short, as Pirates can’t complete sweep of Braves
- Pirates notebook: Power shortage continues, Tabata designated for assignment
- Pirates notebook: Red Sox, Phillies pitchers could be on Pirates’ radar
- Phillips’ leadoff homer in 13th inning lifts Reds over Pirates
- Finally healthy, former 1st-rounder Joe finding his way
- Mercer’s walk-off hit gives Pirates 10-inning victory over Braves
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Guerra finally reaches majors as Scahill goes on DL
- Pirates notebook: Shortstops Mercer, Simmons effective with contrasting styles