Trout, Harper earn Rookie of the Year honors
Mike Trout of the Los Angeles Angels became the youngest AL Rookie of the Year on Monday, and Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals was voted the second-youngest winner of the NL honor.
Trout, who turned 21 on Aug. 7, received all 28 first-place votes from the Baseball Writers' Association of America's AL panel. The center fielder was the eighth unanimous AL pick and the first since Evan Longoria in 2008.
Trout, who hit .326 with 30 homers and 83 RBI, received the maximum 140 points. Oakland outfielder Yoenis Cespedes was second with 63, followed by Texas pitcher Yu Darvish (46), who joined Trout as the only players listed on every ballot.
Harper turned 20 on Oct. 16. The outfielder got 16 of 32 first-place votes and 112 points from the NL panel. Arizona pitcher Wade Miley was second with 12 first-place votes and 105 points, followed by Cincinnati slugger Todd Frazier with three firsts and 45 points.
Harper was the top pick of the 2010 amateur draft and batted .270 with 22 home runs and 59 RBI as Washington brought postseason play to the nation's capital for the first time since 1933.
At this time last year, Trout and Harper were teammates on the Scottsdale Scorpions in the Arizona Fall League. The pair were among a record five rookie All-Stars.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Morton lacks efficiency in spring training debut
- Spring training breakdown: Yankees 2, Pirates 1
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 1
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Pirates notebook: Team has big plans for newcomer Kang