Major League Baseball notebook: Selig reviewing Marlins-Blue Jays blockbuster trade
ROSEMONT, Ill. — Commissioner Bud Selig said Thursday he is examining the pending blockbuster trade that sends at least three of the Miami Marlins' best players to Toronto for a package of prospects just seven months after the Marlins moved into their new $634 million home, which was financed primarily with tax money.
“It is under review,” Selig said. “I am aware of the anger, I am. I'm also aware that in Toronto they're very happy.”
Also, owners approved new television deals with ESPN, Turner Sports and Fox worth about $12.4 billion from 2014-21.
McCarthy visits Pitt doctor, cleared to return
Free agent pitcher Brandon McCarthy is ready for a normal offseason, less than three months after being struck in the head by a line drive and undergoing emergency brain surgery.
McCarthy spent Monday and Tuesday undergoing extensive evaluations by renowned concussion expert, Dr. Michael Collins, at the University of Pittsburgh and was cleared to begin working out.
Source: Cubs agree to deal with C Navarro
A person familiar with the situation says the Chicago Cubs have agreed on terms of a contract with former All-Star catcher Dioner Navarro.
M's: Scoreboard will have MLB's biggest screen
The Seattle Mariners say they will install the major league's largest scoreboard video screen at Safeco Field during the offseason. The screen will have a viewing area the equivalent of about 2,182 42-inch flat screen TVs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country