Baseball notebook: Steroid-era stars dot Hall of Fame ballot
The most polarizing Hall of Fame debate since Pete Rose will now be decided by the baseball shrine's voters: Do Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa belong in Cooperstown despite drug allegations that tainted their huge numbers?
In a monthlong election sure to become a referendum on the Steroids Era, the Hall ballot was released Wednesday, and Bonds, Clemens and Sosa are on it for the first time.
Bonds is the all-time home run champion with 762 and won a record seven MVP awards. Clemens took home a record seven Cy Young trophies and is ninth with 354 victories. Sosa ranks eighth on the homer chart with 609.
Yet for all their HRs, RBI and Ws, the shadow of PEDs looms large.
“You could see for years that this particular ballot was going to be controversial and divisive to an unprecedented extent,” Larry Stone of The Seattle Times wrote in an email. “My hope is that some clarity begins to emerge over the Hall of Fame status of those linked to performance-enhancing drugs. But I doubt it.”
More than 600 longtime members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America will vote on the 37-player ballot. Candidates require 75 percent for induction, and the results will be announced Jan. 9.
Report: Upton a Brave
ESPN reported that outfielder B.J. Upton signed a five-year, $75.25 million deal with the Braves, pending a physical.
Upton, 28, batted 246 with 28 home runs, 78 RBI and 31 stolen bases with the Rays last season.
Yankees re-sign Pettitte
Left-hander Andy Pettitte, 41, is staying with the Yankees next season, signing a one-year deal worth $12 million.
Pettitte went 5-4 with a 2.87 ERA in 12 starts.
Reds sign Broxton
The Reds signed Jonathan Broxton to a three-year, $21 million contract. He had four saves in six chances and a 2.82 ERA with Cincinnati last season.
Madson joins Angels
Right-handed reliever Ryan Madson agreed to a one-year deal with the Angels, hoping for a comeback from Tommy John surgery.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash