Pirates make minor league managerial assignments
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, January 4, 2013, 3:38 p.m.
Updated: Friday, January 4, 2013
The Pirates promoted former All-Star infielder Carlos Garcia to manager of Double-A Altoona.
Garcia, 45, spent the past two seasons as manager of High-A Bradenton. He was a Pirates infielder from 1990-96 and was an All-Star in 1994.
Garcia replaces P.J. Forbes, who led the Curve to a 72-70 record last season but left the organization in October after being offered a position in a lower level of the minors.
The Pirates also announced the rest of their minor league managers for 2013: Dean Treanor (Triple-A Indianapolis), Frank Kremblas (Bradenton), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia), Dave Turgeon (short-season A Jamestown), Milver Reyes (Gulf Coast League Bradenton), Keoni De Renne (Dominican Summer League I) and Gera Alvarez (DSL II).
This will be Treanor's third season at the helm in Indy. The Indians were 89-55 last season, the best regular-season record in Triple-A. Kremblas worked last year as a special assistant to minor league operations. Kremblas managed at Indy in 2009-10.
Ryan, a native of Indiana, Pa., will make his debut as a manager. Turgeon last summer managed the New York-Penn League club in State College; the Pirates switched affiliates this offseason.
Reyes replaces Tom Prince, who managed the GCL Pirates for the past six seasons but will be an instructor in the organization this season.
Also, right-hander Chad Beck was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. The Pirates designated Beck for assignment on Dec. 26.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Snider’s grand slam pushes Pirates to late victory over Cubs
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Rodriguez, Walker push Pirates past Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez sits against righty Gallardo
- Pirates get the bats going, knock off Brewers to take 4-game series
- Pirates notebook: Replay could catch players in a trap
- Small adjustment key to Pirates pitcher Liriano’s return to form
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.