Pirates make minor league managerial assignments
The Pirates promoted former All-Star infielder Carlos Garcia to manager of Double-A Altoona.
Garcia, 45, spent the past two seasons as manager of High-A Bradenton. He was a Pirates infielder from 1990-96 and was an All-Star in 1994.
Garcia replaces P.J. Forbes, who led the Curve to a 72-70 record last season but left the organization in October after being offered a position in a lower level of the minors.
The Pirates also announced the rest of their minor league managers for 2013: Dean Treanor (Triple-A Indianapolis), Frank Kremblas (Bradenton), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia), Dave Turgeon (short-season A Jamestown), Milver Reyes (Gulf Coast League Bradenton), Keoni De Renne (Dominican Summer League I) and Gera Alvarez (DSL II).
This will be Treanor's third season at the helm in Indy. The Indians were 89-55 last season, the best regular-season record in Triple-A. Kremblas worked last year as a special assistant to minor league operations. Kremblas managed at Indy in 2009-10.
Ryan, a native of Indiana, Pa., will make his debut as a manager. Turgeon last summer managed the New York-Penn League club in State College; the Pirates switched affiliates this offseason.
Reyes replaces Tom Prince, who managed the GCL Pirates for the past six seasons but will be an instructor in the organization this season.
Also, right-hander Chad Beck was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. The Pirates designated Beck for assignment on Dec. 26.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Kang says he ‘can play better’ than Pirates current SS Mercer
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang