Pirates make minor league managerial assignments
The Pirates promoted former All-Star infielder Carlos Garcia to manager of Double-A Altoona.
Garcia, 45, spent the past two seasons as manager of High-A Bradenton. He was a Pirates infielder from 1990-96 and was an All-Star in 1994.
Garcia replaces P.J. Forbes, who led the Curve to a 72-70 record last season but left the organization in October after being offered a position in a lower level of the minors.
The Pirates also announced the rest of their minor league managers for 2013: Dean Treanor (Triple-A Indianapolis), Frank Kremblas (Bradenton), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia), Dave Turgeon (short-season A Jamestown), Milver Reyes (Gulf Coast League Bradenton), Keoni De Renne (Dominican Summer League I) and Gera Alvarez (DSL II).
This will be Treanor's third season at the helm in Indy. The Indians were 89-55 last season, the best regular-season record in Triple-A. Kremblas worked last year as a special assistant to minor league operations. Kremblas managed at Indy in 2009-10.
Ryan, a native of Indiana, Pa., will make his debut as a manager. Turgeon last summer managed the New York-Penn League club in State College; the Pirates switched affiliates this offseason.
Reyes replaces Tom Prince, who managed the GCL Pirates for the past six seasons but will be an instructor in the organization this season.
Also, right-hander Chad Beck was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. The Pirates designated Beck for assignment on Dec. 26.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Statistically speaking: Pirates could punish Cubs’ fly-ball pitchers
- Pirates notebook: Pitch could be more than change of pace for Cole
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Rossi: Melancon change good for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Status quo for Morton’s health after latest bullpen session