Pirates make minor league managerial assignments
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, Jan. 4, 2013, 3:38 p.m.
The Pirates promoted former All-Star infielder Carlos Garcia to manager of Double-A Altoona.
Garcia, 45, spent the past two seasons as manager of High-A Bradenton. He was a Pirates infielder from 1990-96 and was an All-Star in 1994.
Garcia replaces P.J. Forbes, who led the Curve to a 72-70 record last season but left the organization in October after being offered a position in a lower level of the minors.
The Pirates also announced the rest of their minor league managers for 2013: Dean Treanor (Triple-A Indianapolis), Frank Kremblas (Bradenton), Michael Ryan (Low-A West Virginia), Dave Turgeon (short-season A Jamestown), Milver Reyes (Gulf Coast League Bradenton), Keoni De Renne (Dominican Summer League I) and Gera Alvarez (DSL II).
This will be Treanor's third season at the helm in Indy. The Indians were 89-55 last season, the best regular-season record in Triple-A. Kremblas worked last year as a special assistant to minor league operations. Kremblas managed at Indy in 2009-10.
Ryan, a native of Indiana, Pa., will make his debut as a manager. Turgeon last summer managed the New York-Penn League club in State College; the Pirates switched affiliates this offseason.
Reyes replaces Tom Prince, who managed the GCL Pirates for the past six seasons but will be an instructor in the organization this season.
Also, right-hander Chad Beck was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. The Pirates designated Beck for assignment on Dec. 26.
Rob Biertempfel is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at email@example.com or via Twitter @BiertempfelTrib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Rodriguez placed on DL, Hughes promoted
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Preview of Tuesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Cueto gets best of Pirates, as Reds capture series from rival
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates