Pirates acquire pitcher Gomez from Indians
By Karen Price
Published: Wednesday, January 9, 2013, 5:56 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, January 9, 2013
The Pirates on Wednesday acquired right-hander Jeanmar Gomez from the Cleveland Indians for minor league outfielder Quincy Latimore.
The Pirates' 40-man roster is full with the addition of Gomez. The Indians designated Gomez for assignment to make room on their 40-man roster for Russ Canzler, whom they claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays.
Gomez, 24, should compete for a spot in the bottom of the Pirates' rotation. He started 17 games and made three appearances out of the bullpen last year, going 5-8 with a 5.96 ERA. He also made 11 starts with Triple-A Columbus and went 6-5 with a 4.41 ERA.
In three major league seasons, the native of Venezuela is 14-16 with a 5.18 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 42 games, including 38 starts. Gomez also provides the Pirates with depth after a deal with free agent Francisco Liriano hit a snag.
The left-hander, with whom the Pirates agreed to a two-year deal in December contingent on a physical, injured his right arm, and the team announced Tuesday the deal was on hold. Liriano was expected to be the team's No. 3 starter behind A.J. Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez.
Latimore had a .252 batting average in six seasons in the minors. He spent each of the past two seasons in Double-A Altoona and hit .252 in 2012 with 24 doubles, three triples, 15 home runs and 71 RBI in 126 games. The Pirates drafted Latimore in the fourth round of the 2007 draft.
Karen Price is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach her at email@example.com or via Twitter @KarenPrice_Trib.
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched for soreness in right knee
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates’ bullpen falters in extra-inning loss to Astros
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Pirates notebook: Mercer likely to be sent back to Triple-A
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- McCutchen homer in 12th gives Pirates rare victory vs. Brewers
- Rodriguez, Walker push Pirates past Brewers
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez sits against righty Gallardo
- Pirates get the bats going, knock off Brewers to take 4-game series
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.