Pirates acquire pitcher Gomez from Indians
The Pirates on Wednesday acquired right-hander Jeanmar Gomez from the Cleveland Indians for minor league outfielder Quincy Latimore.
The Pirates' 40-man roster is full with the addition of Gomez. The Indians designated Gomez for assignment to make room on their 40-man roster for Russ Canzler, whom they claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays.
Gomez, 24, should compete for a spot in the bottom of the Pirates' rotation. He started 17 games and made three appearances out of the bullpen last year, going 5-8 with a 5.96 ERA. He also made 11 starts with Triple-A Columbus and went 6-5 with a 4.41 ERA.
In three major league seasons, the native of Venezuela is 14-16 with a 5.18 ERA and 112 strikeouts in 42 games, including 38 starts. Gomez also provides the Pirates with depth after a deal with free agent Francisco Liriano hit a snag.
The left-hander, with whom the Pirates agreed to a two-year deal in December contingent on a physical, injured his right arm, and the team announced Tuesday the deal was on hold. Liriano was expected to be the team's No. 3 starter behind A.J. Burnett and Wandy Rodriguez.
Latimore had a .252 batting average in six seasons in the minors. He spent each of the past two seasons in Double-A Altoona and hit .252 in 2012 with 24 doubles, three triples, 15 home runs and 71 RBI in 126 games. The Pirates drafted Latimore in the fourth round of the 2007 draft.
Karen Price is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @KarenPrice_Trib.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Cardinals grab victory over pitcher Cole, Pirates with a late rally
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates minor league report: Bell concluding breakout season
- Stats Corner: Corner men Marte, Snider deliver punch
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall