Pirates notebook: No bunting drills for Burnett
• A.J. Burnett plans to sit out the annual pitchers' bunting tournament during spring training. “I'm out,” Burnett said Tuesday. “I'll only bunt when a coach throws me the ball, not off the machine. No chance. I need a full spring.” During the first week of camp last year, Burnett fouled off a bunt attempt into his face and shattered his right orbital bone. He didn't make his Pirates debut until April 21.
• Free-agent infielder Brandon Inge appeared set to sign a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training, according to an industry source. Inge, 35, had arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder in September after batting .218 with 12 homers in 83 games with the Detroit Tigers and Oakland Athletics. He became a free agent when the A's declined his $6 million option.
• Right-hander Stolmey Pimentel, who lives in the Dominican Republic, hasn't reported to camp because of visa problems. He was the only player who missed Monday's reporting deadline for pitchers and catchers.
• Fourteen pitchers are scheduled to throw sides Wednesday. The group includes Kyle McPherson, Jared Hughes, Tony Watson and Jonathan Sanchez.
• Owner Bob Nutting is slated to address a full-squad meeting Feb. 21.
• Root Sports will televise five spring training games: March 1 versus the Red Sox (7 p.m.); March 8, Orioles (7 p.m.); March 9, Twins (1 p.m.); March 23, Red Sox (1 p.m.); and March 24, Orioles (1 p.m.).
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds