Pirates notebook: McKenry rewarded for number swap
• Michael McKenry surrendered his uniform No. 55 to Russell Martin, who wore that number the past seven years with the Dodgers and Yankees. “(The Pirates) kind of just gave it to me,” Martin said. “I never got a chance to talk to McKenry about it, so I shot him a text during the offseason.” To repay his fellow catcher for the number swap, Martin stashed a gift-wrapped watch in McKenry's locker. “Very nice,” said McKenry, who now is wearing No. 19. McKenry has often worn a single-digit number throughout his career, but the one he really wants is not available. “I've always liked the number 9, but I don't think Maz is going to give that one up,” McKenry said with a laugh. The Pirates retired Bill Mazeroski's No. 9 in 1987.
• Lefty Jeff Locke could be the frontrunner for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation. Locke has more major league experience than Kyle McPherson, and he also is throwing in the same bullpen session group as A.J. Burnett, James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez and Jeff Karstens. Jonathan Sanchez, who's a non-roster invitee, also is in the hunt for the final starting job.
• Starling Marte, Neil Walker and Brad Hawpe checked into camp Thursday. That leaves only two missing players: Brandon Inge (who was given permission to arrive Friday) and Stolmey Pimentel (who's stuck in the Dominican Republic because of visa problems).
• Closer Jason Grilli won't reveal his entrance song, although he did offer one teaser: “It's by Pearl Jam, of course,” Grilli said, referring to his favorite band. Grilli already has previewed the video put together by the Pirates' scoreboard crew that will accompany the song and gave it two thumbs up. “It's going to be awesome,” he said.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates third baseman Ramirez’s last ride is about winning a ring
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler
- Cole collects MLB-best 14th win as Pirates take series against Nationals
- Starting 9: Pirates help and the illusion of help
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Nationals, July 26, 2015
- Pirates minor league report: Moore a breakout star in Morgantown
- Nationals pound Burnett, Pirates
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Nationals July 25, 2015
- Rossi: Luck be a lady for the Pirates
- Rossi: Burnett hasn’t given everything, not yet