Pirates notebook: McKenry rewarded for number swap
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013, 3:42 p.m.
• Michael McKenry surrendered his uniform No. 55 to Russell Martin, who wore that number the past seven years with the Dodgers and Yankees. “(The Pirates) kind of just gave it to me,” Martin said. “I never got a chance to talk to McKenry about it, so I shot him a text during the offseason.” To repay his fellow catcher for the number swap, Martin stashed a gift-wrapped watch in McKenry's locker. “Very nice,” said McKenry, who now is wearing No. 19. McKenry has often worn a single-digit number throughout his career, but the one he really wants is not available. “I've always liked the number 9, but I don't think Maz is going to give that one up,” McKenry said with a laugh. The Pirates retired Bill Mazeroski's No. 9 in 1987.
• Lefty Jeff Locke could be the frontrunner for the No. 5 spot in the starting rotation. Locke has more major league experience than Kyle McPherson, and he also is throwing in the same bullpen session group as A.J. Burnett, James McDonald, Wandy Rodriguez and Jeff Karstens. Jonathan Sanchez, who's a non-roster invitee, also is in the hunt for the final starting job.
• Starling Marte, Neil Walker and Brad Hawpe checked into camp Thursday. That leaves only two missing players: Brandon Inge (who was given permission to arrive Friday) and Stolmey Pimentel (who's stuck in the Dominican Republic because of visa problems).
• Closer Jason Grilli won't reveal his entrance song, although he did offer one teaser: “It's by Pearl Jam, of course,” Grilli said, referring to his favorite band. Grilli already has previewed the video put together by the Pirates' scoreboard crew that will accompany the song and gave it two thumbs up. “It's going to be awesome,” he said.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Breaking down Thursday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Cueto gets best of Pirates, as Reds capture series from rival
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Pirates conclude wild suspended game with win, drop 2nd of series
- Pirates notebook: Rivalry with Reds resumes
- Previewing Wednesday’s Pirates-Reds game
- Previewing Saturday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Breaking down Sunday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Stats Corner: Pedro adds contact, patience to power game
- Biertempfel: Expect less yelling with MLB’s replay system