Pirates will commission new logo for 2014 season
By Bob Cohn
Published: Monday, February 11, 2013, 5:51 p.m.
Updated: Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Pirates fans might not have any input in trades or free-agent signings, but they will have a say in choosing a new logo for the 2014 season.
Four focus groups — season ticket holders, corporate partners, suite holders and random fans — are meeting at PNC Park this week to help pick a new buccaneer symbol. The present model features a snarling pirate in a black and red bandana. It has been around since 1997.
“It's time to update it a little bit,” executive vice president and chief marketing director Lou DePaoli said.
DePaoli said the fans are being shown prior logos and asked to offer their ideas. A sketch artist will apply them on paper, on the spot.
“We don't have any preconceived notions,” he said. “We figured we'd go at it a little bit differently.”
Contrary to some reports, DePaoli emphasized that the traditional and popular gold “P,” which is worn on the hat and featured prominently in advertising and marketing, will not be touched.
“When people see the gold ‘P,' they know it stands for Pirates,” he said. “It's something you don't mess with.”
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.