Pirates will commission new logo for 2014 season
By Bob Cohn
Published: Monday, Feb. 11, 2013, 5:51 p.m.
Pirates fans might not have any input in trades or free-agent signings, but they will have a say in choosing a new logo for the 2014 season.
Four focus groups — season ticket holders, corporate partners, suite holders and random fans — are meeting at PNC Park this week to help pick a new buccaneer symbol. The present model features a snarling pirate in a black and red bandana. It has been around since 1997.
“It's time to update it a little bit,” executive vice president and chief marketing director Lou DePaoli said.
DePaoli said the fans are being shown prior logos and asked to offer their ideas. A sketch artist will apply them on paper, on the spot.
“We don't have any preconceived notions,” he said. “We figured we'd go at it a little bit differently.”
Contrary to some reports, DePaoli emphasized that the traditional and popular gold “P,” which is worn on the hat and featured prominently in advertising and marketing, will not be touched.
“When people see the gold ‘P,' they know it stands for Pirates,” he said. “It's something you don't mess with.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Pirates notebook: Liriano throws off mound with no issues
- Melancon continues to baffle opposing hitters