Pirates scrimmage breakdown: Gold 2, Black 2
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, Feb. 22, 2013, 7:54 p.m.
Gold 2, Black 2
McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.
Gold starter: Jameson Taillon 2 IP, 2 H, 3 SO
Black starter: Gerrit Cole 2 IP, 1 H, 1 SO
Bloop and a blast: In the third inning, Ivan De Jesus looped a triple that fell just out of the reach of diving RF Felix Pie. With one out, Starling Marte ripped a towering two-run homer that rode the wind out to left field.
Double trouble: Jordy Mercer grounded into a double play in each of his two at-bats.
Hit the brakes: Lucas May lined an RBI single to center but was thrown out after taking a wide turn at first base.
Escape clause: When LHP Erik Cordier walked the bases loaded in the fifth, the inning was called over with just two outs because he reached his pitch count.
Cole and Taillon. Both were poised, efficient and effective.
RHP Kyle Waldrop served up Marte's titanic homer and allowed hits to three of eight batters he faced.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Volquez cruising through innings
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Breaking down Saturday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates