Spring training breakdown: Orioles 6, Pirates (SS) 5; Red Sox 5, Pirates (SS) 2
Orioles 6, Pirates (SS) 5
Pirates starter: James McDonald 3 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 HR, 0 BB, 1 SO
Orioles starter: Jason Hammel 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Gopher balls: McDonald allowed home runs to Brian Roberts, Nolan Reimold and Wilson Betemit, all on fastballs. He'd been told to work on simple fastball command, so all concerned shrugged it off.
Going, gone: Gaby Sanchez belted two home runs vs. Orioles, both deep into the left-field bleachers.
Stock up: Chris Leroux's bid to hang in the rotation race had a bit of a boost with two innings vs. Orioles in which he allowed one unearned run and generally pounded the ball down in the zone.
Stock down:Josh Harrison was hitless in his lone at-bat and is off to an 0-for-8 start.
RED SOX 5, Pirates (SS) 2
Pirates starter: Jeff Locke 3 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 WP, 2 BB, 3 SO
Red Sox starter: Jon Lester 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Locked up: Locke admitted to some nerves after allowing two walks and a wild pitch in Boston's three-run first. He's a New Hampshire native, Sox nation.
No breather: In fairness, Locke faced most of Boston's regular lineup. Between them, Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia reached base five times in six plate appearances atop the order.
Stock up: LF Felix Pie, former big-time prospect with the Cubs, doubled to left-center, the third of his five hits to go for extra bases. He also threw out a runner at second.
Stock down: Pedro Alvarez is off to a 1-for-9 start after three hitless at-bats. The positive? No strikeouts yet.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 26, 2015
- Mercer, Harrison likely to return vs. Giants, creating left-side logjam
- Gameday: Pirates vs. San Francisco Giants, Aug. 21, 2015
- Starkey: Pirates will need Cole train rolling
- Marte’s glove, walk-off homer push Pirates past Giants
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system