Spring training breakdown: Orioles 6, Pirates (SS) 5; Red Sox 5, Pirates (SS) 2
Published: Friday, March 1, 2013, 4:42 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Orioles 6, Pirates (SS) 5
Pirates starter: James McDonald 3 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 HR, 0 BB, 1 SO
Orioles starter: Jason Hammel 2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO
Gopher balls: McDonald allowed home runs to Brian Roberts, Nolan Reimold and Wilson Betemit, all on fastballs. He'd been told to work on simple fastball command, so all concerned shrugged it off.
Going, gone: Gaby Sanchez belted two home runs vs. Orioles, both deep into the left-field bleachers.
Stock up: Chris Leroux's bid to hang in the rotation race had a bit of a boost with two innings vs. Orioles in which he allowed one unearned run and generally pounded the ball down in the zone.
Stock down:Josh Harrison was hitless in his lone at-bat and is off to an 0-for-8 start.
RED SOX 5, Pirates (SS) 2
Pirates starter: Jeff Locke 3 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 1 WP, 2 BB, 3 SO
Red Sox starter: Jon Lester 3 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Locked up: Locke admitted to some nerves after allowing two walks and a wild pitch in Boston's three-run first. He's a New Hampshire native, Sox nation.
No breather: In fairness, Locke faced most of Boston's regular lineup. Between them, Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia reached base five times in six plate appearances atop the order.
Stock up: LF Felix Pie, former big-time prospect with the Cubs, doubled to left-center, the third of his five hits to go for extra bases. He also threw out a runner at second.
Stock down: Pedro Alvarez is off to a 1-for-9 start after three hitless at-bats. The positive? No strikeouts yet.
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Alvarez blast propels Pirates past Astros
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.