Spring training breakdown: Red Sox 16, Pirates 6
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Thursday, February 28, 2013, 7:24 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013
Red Sox starter: Jon Lackey 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Pirates starter: Jameson Taillon 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Ball, ball, ball, ball: Pirates pitchers issued 15 walks, including four with the bases loaded. They had walked 10 batters over the past four games.
Whomp: There were 23 hits in the game, but only three went for extra bases — all of them home runs hit by the Pirates. Jordy Mercer, Felix Pie and Jared Goedert each went deep.
Stock up: Pie hit a two-run homer to left. He's had a hit in each of the four games he's played.
Stock down: SS Josh Harrison made two throwing errors, allowing three runners to score.
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Pirates notebook: Mercer likely to be sent back to Triple-A
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.