Spring training breakdown: Red Sox 16, Pirates 6
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013, 7:24 p.m.
Red Sox starter: Jon Lackey 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Pirates starter: Jameson Taillon 2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO
Ball, ball, ball, ball: Pirates pitchers issued 15 walks, including four with the bases loaded. They had walked 10 batters over the past four games.
Whomp: There were 23 hits in the game, but only three went for extra bases — all of them home runs hit by the Pirates. Jordy Mercer, Felix Pie and Jared Goedert each went deep.
Stock up: Pie hit a two-run homer to left. He's had a hit in each of the four games he's played.
Stock down: SS Josh Harrison made two throwing errors, allowing three runners to score.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Rodriguez placed on DL, Hughes promoted
- Preview of Tuesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Volquez cruising through innings
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik