Spring training breakdown: Pirates 9, Red Sox 3
PIRATES 9, RED SOX 3
Pirates starter: Jeff Locke 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO
Red Sox starter: Jon Lester 4 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO
Monster shot: Starling Marte opened the game with a towering triple to left-center high off the simulated Green Monster.
Potent: Jose Tabata's strong start continued with a pinch-hit, RBI double off the tall fence in center in the sixth inning.
Stock up: Jared Hughes' torrid spring continued with a 1-2-3 fifth inning. His ERA is at 0.00 after four appearances.
Stock down: Pedro Alvarez's swing is still a bit behind. He went 0 for 2 with a sacrifice fly. He's 1 for 14 this spring.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates re-sign Liriano to 3-year, $39M contract
- Rossi: Liriano deal good start for Pirates
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates trade for utilityman Rodriguez, DFA Sanchez
- Pirates target rotation help at Winter Meetings