Spring training breakdown: Rays 4, Pirates 2
RAYS 4, PIRATES 2
Pirates starter: James McDonald: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HB
Rays starter: Alex Cobb: 4 IP, 1 H, 0R, 0 BB, 5K.
Aw, shucks: James McDonald picked off Desmond Jennings at first base in the first inning. “I had a compliment (Thursday from outfielder Darren Ford) saying I had a quick move,” he said. “I never heard that in my career before, so that's something I can look forward to using this year as a weapon.”
Oh, K: Rays pitchers Alex Cobb, Chris Archer and Jake Odorizzi combined to record 11 strikeouts. The Pirates had only two hits — both singles — entering the ninth inning before Matt Hague singled, Jared Goedert walked and Russell Martin doubled off Jake Odorizzi to make it 4-2.
Stock up: Josh Harrison made a leaping catch on a drive by Mike Fontenot in the first inning. He also stole a base and recorded his first hit of the spring and the first off Cobb, who retired all eight batters before Harrison's third-inning single.
Stock down: Brad Hawpe struck out in the second inning for the eighth time in 15 at-bats and was charged with an error in the third. Hawpe entered the game with a .143 batting average in seven games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates face major decisions on a handful of players in offseason
- Pirates acquire Orioles reliever, designate Tabata for assignment
- Pirates GM Huntington believes his coaching staff will return intact