Spring training breakdown: Rays 4, Pirates 2
RAYS 4, PIRATES 2
Pirates starter: James McDonald: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 HB
Rays starter: Alex Cobb: 4 IP, 1 H, 0R, 0 BB, 5K.
Aw, shucks: James McDonald picked off Desmond Jennings at first base in the first inning. “I had a compliment (Thursday from outfielder Darren Ford) saying I had a quick move,” he said. “I never heard that in my career before, so that's something I can look forward to using this year as a weapon.”
Oh, K: Rays pitchers Alex Cobb, Chris Archer and Jake Odorizzi combined to record 11 strikeouts. The Pirates had only two hits — both singles — entering the ninth inning before Matt Hague singled, Jared Goedert walked and Russell Martin doubled off Jake Odorizzi to make it 4-2.
Stock up: Josh Harrison made a leaping catch on a drive by Mike Fontenot in the first inning. He also stole a base and recorded his first hit of the spring and the first off Cobb, who retired all eight batters before Harrison's third-inning single.
Stock down: Brad Hawpe struck out in the second inning for the eighth time in 15 at-bats and was charged with an error in the third. Hawpe entered the game with a .143 batting average in seven games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Rossi: Melancon change good for Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Status quo for Morton’s health after latest bullpen session
- Pirates postseason tickets application available online
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Phillies