Spring training breakdown: Orioles 6, Pirates 3
Orioles 6, Pirates 3
Orioles starter: Wei-Yin Chen 2 1⁄3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Pirates starter: Kyle McPherson 3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Chugging along: Starling Marte had a good night at the plate, working the count and getting a leadoff single in the first, a leadoff walk in the third and another single in the fifth. He also stole two bases, was caught once and scored two runs.
They go way back: Pedro Alvarez barehanded the ball and made a nice throw on the run to first to get former Vanderbilt teammate and roommate Ryan Flaherty and end the fourth inning.
Stock up: Left-hander Mike Zagurski came out of the bullpen and struck out the side in the fifth inning. Zagurski has yet to give up a hit and has struck out five in three innings this spring.
Stock down: McPherson hit the leadoff batter and walked the No. 2 man to set up a three-run, eight-batter third inning. He struck out Wilson Betemit, then gave up a single, double and another single to give the Orioles a 4-1 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Starting 9: How can the Pirates catch the Cardinals in the future?
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Pirates notebook: Morton traces struggles to mechanics of delivery
- Pirates standout CF McCutchen no longer needs to carry team
- Marte’s 2-run homer in 12th polishes off Reds
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds October 3, 2015
- Photo gallery: Last Pirates game at Three Rivers Stadium, Oct. 1, 2000