Spring training breakdown: Orioles 6, Pirates 3
Orioles 6, Pirates 3
Orioles starter: Wei-Yin Chen 21⁄3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Pirates starter: Kyle McPherson 3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Chugging along: Starling Marte had a good night at the plate, working the count and getting a leadoff single in the first, a leadoff walk in the third and another single in the fifth. He also stole two bases, was caught once and scored two runs.
They go way back: Pedro Alvarez barehanded the ball and made a nice throw on the run to first to get former Vanderbilt teammate and roommate Ryan Flaherty and end the fourth inning.
Stock up: Left-hander Mike Zagurski came out of the bullpen and struck out the side in the fifth inning. Zagurski has yet to give up a hit and has struck out five in three innings this spring.
Stock down: McPherson hit the leadoff batter and walked the No. 2 man to set up a three-run, eight-batter third inning. He struck out Wilson Betemit, then gave up a single, double and another single to give the Orioles a 4-1 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates notebook: Lambo recalled to bolster bench
- Pirates edge Reds, 3-2, for 4th consecutive victory