Spring training breakdown: Orioles 6, Pirates 3
Orioles 6, Pirates 3
Orioles starter: Wei-Yin Chen 21⁄3 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K
Pirates starter: Kyle McPherson 3 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
Chugging along: Starling Marte had a good night at the plate, working the count and getting a leadoff single in the first, a leadoff walk in the third and another single in the fifth. He also stole two bases, was caught once and scored two runs.
They go way back: Pedro Alvarez barehanded the ball and made a nice throw on the run to first to get former Vanderbilt teammate and roommate Ryan Flaherty and end the fourth inning.
Stock up: Left-hander Mike Zagurski came out of the bullpen and struck out the side in the fifth inning. Zagurski has yet to give up a hit and has struck out five in three innings this spring.
Stock down: McPherson hit the leadoff batter and walked the No. 2 man to set up a three-run, eight-batter third inning. He struck out Wilson Betemit, then gave up a single, double and another single to give the Orioles a 4-1 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin
- Pirates face mound of decisions in offseason
- Pirates notebook: Team wary of Polanco, Marte playing full winter season
- Pirates will implement price increase for 2015 tickets