Spring training breakdown: Twins 5, Pirates 4
TWINS 5, PIRATES 4
Twins starter: Cole De Vries 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Pirates starter:A.J. Burnett 42/3IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Pick: A.J. Burnett gave up a leadoff single to Twins right fielder Darin Mastroianni in the first inning, then picked him off on the second throw to first base. The Pirates have picked off a runner in each of the past three games (Vic Black picked off Xavier Avery on Friday, and James McDonald picked off Desmond Jennings on Thursday).
Travel time: Manager Clint Hurdle said he'll go to Fort Myers on Sunday instead of Sarasota because that roster contains more players under evaluation, including starter Jonathan Sanchez. Hurdle said the staff will meet to discuss the first cuts of camp after Monday's game.
Stock up:Tony Sanchez was 0 for 3 but caught Burnett for the first time, and the staff ace had nothing but good things to say about the experience. “I told him beforehand, ‘Look, just have fun. Don't worry about me out there,' ” Burnett said. “The intimidation, the look, whatever I have, just treat me like anybody else. It was fun working with him.”
Stock down: Chase d'Arnaud was supposed to get the start at shortstop but jammed his left thumb during a rundown drill in the morning and was replaced by Ivan De Jesus. Hurdle said he'll be re-evaluated Sunday, but the shelf isn't a good place to be in the thick of a job competition. De Jesus hit his first home run of spring in the fifth inning Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen says he’s ‘glad’ to be on field
- Pirates notebook: Worley bounces back after rough start