Spring training breakdown: Twins 5, Pirates 4
By Karen Price
Published: Saturday, March 9, 2013, 6:36 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, March 27, 2013
TWINS 5, PIRATES 4
Twins starter: Cole De Vries 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Pirates starter: A.J. Burnett 4 2 ⁄ 3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Pick: A.J. Burnett gave up a leadoff single to Twins right fielder Darin Mastroianni in the first inning, then picked him off on the second throw to first base. The Pirates have picked off a runner in each of the past three games (Vic Black picked off Xavier Avery on Friday, and James McDonald picked off Desmond Jennings on Thursday).
Travel time: Manager Clint Hurdle said he'll go to Fort Myers on Sunday instead of Sarasota because that roster contains more players under evaluation, including starter Jonathan Sanchez. Hurdle said the staff will meet to discuss the first cuts of camp after Monday's game.
Stock up: Tony Sanchez was 0 for 3 but caught Burnett for the first time, and the staff ace had nothing but good things to say about the experience. “I told him beforehand, ‘Look, just have fun. Don't worry about me out there,' ” Burnett said. “The intimidation, the look, whatever I have, just treat me like anybody else. It was fun working with him.”
Stock down: Chase d'Arnaud was supposed to get the start at shortstop but jammed his left thumb during a rundown drill in the morning and was replaced by Ivan De Jesus. Hurdle said he'll be re-evaluated Sunday, but the shelf isn't a good place to be in the thick of a job competition. De Jesus hit his first home run of spring in the fifth inning Saturday.
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Snider’s grand slam pushes Pirates to late victory over Cubs
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates notebook: Replay could catch players in a trap
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Rodriguez, Walker push Pirates past Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez sits against righty Gallardo
- Pirates get the bats going, knock off Brewers to take 4-game series
- Small adjustment key to Pirates pitcher Liriano’s return to form
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.