Spring training breakdown: Twins 5, Pirates 4
By Karen Price
Published: Saturday, March 9, 2013, 6:36 p.m.
TWINS 5, PIRATES 4
Twins starter: Cole De Vries 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Pirates starter: A.J. Burnett 4 2 ⁄ 3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Pick: A.J. Burnett gave up a leadoff single to Twins right fielder Darin Mastroianni in the first inning, then picked him off on the second throw to first base. The Pirates have picked off a runner in each of the past three games (Vic Black picked off Xavier Avery on Friday, and James McDonald picked off Desmond Jennings on Thursday).
Travel time: Manager Clint Hurdle said he'll go to Fort Myers on Sunday instead of Sarasota because that roster contains more players under evaluation, including starter Jonathan Sanchez. Hurdle said the staff will meet to discuss the first cuts of camp after Monday's game.
Stock up: Tony Sanchez was 0 for 3 but caught Burnett for the first time, and the staff ace had nothing but good things to say about the experience. “I told him beforehand, ‘Look, just have fun. Don't worry about me out there,' ” Burnett said. “The intimidation, the look, whatever I have, just treat me like anybody else. It was fun working with him.”
Stock down: Chase d'Arnaud was supposed to get the start at shortstop but jammed his left thumb during a rundown drill in the morning and was replaced by Ivan De Jesus. Hurdle said he'll be re-evaluated Sunday, but the shelf isn't a good place to be in the thick of a job competition. De Jesus hit his first home run of spring in the fifth inning Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Scouting Pirates-Reds matchup
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Volquez cruising through innings