Spring training breakdown: Twins 5, Pirates 4
TWINS 5, PIRATES 4
Twins starter: Cole De Vries 3 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
Pirates starter:A.J. Burnett 42/3IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 3 K
Pick: A.J. Burnett gave up a leadoff single to Twins right fielder Darin Mastroianni in the first inning, then picked him off on the second throw to first base. The Pirates have picked off a runner in each of the past three games (Vic Black picked off Xavier Avery on Friday, and James McDonald picked off Desmond Jennings on Thursday).
Travel time: Manager Clint Hurdle said he'll go to Fort Myers on Sunday instead of Sarasota because that roster contains more players under evaluation, including starter Jonathan Sanchez. Hurdle said the staff will meet to discuss the first cuts of camp after Monday's game.
Stock up:Tony Sanchez was 0 for 3 but caught Burnett for the first time, and the staff ace had nothing but good things to say about the experience. “I told him beforehand, ‘Look, just have fun. Don't worry about me out there,' ” Burnett said. “The intimidation, the look, whatever I have, just treat me like anybody else. It was fun working with him.”
Stock down: Chase d'Arnaud was supposed to get the start at shortstop but jammed his left thumb during a rundown drill in the morning and was replaced by Ivan De Jesus. Hurdle said he'll be re-evaluated Sunday, but the shelf isn't a good place to be in the thick of a job competition. De Jesus hit his first home run of spring in the fifth inning Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Pirates notebook: It’s official: Cole to start wild-card game against Cubs
- Rossi: Time to give Pirates owner Nutting his due
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs