Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Orioles 2; Pirates 7, Twins 4
ORIOLES at PIRATES, 1:05 p.m.
McKechnie Field, Bradenton
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke
Orioles starter: LHP Zach Britton
pIRATES 5, orioles 2
Pirates starter: RHP Gerrit Cole 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
Orioles starter: RHP Miguel Gonzalez 2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
PIRATES 7, TWINS 4
Pirates starter: RHPJonathan Sanchez 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Twins starter: RHP Liam Hendriks 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3 HR
Sanchez long balls: Three guys with the last name Sanchez started for the Pirates against the Twins and ended up with home runs on their stat lines. Catcher Tony Sanchez and first baseman Gaby Sanchez each hit a home run, and starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez allowed one.
Stock up: The bullpen pitched six scoreless innings against the Orioles and 4 1⁄3 against the Twins. Of the 10 relievers used between the two games Sunday, only Stolmy Pimentel allowed a run (two runs, one earned, on three hits in 2 2⁄3 innings).
Stock down: Maybethe anthem singer in Sarasota had never seen the Orioles play before. When the crowd yelled “O” she seemed so caught off guard that she practically laughed through the rest of the anthem.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates officially sign Korean shortstop Kang
- Pirates’ Burnett aims to defy age curve
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Kang says he ‘can play better’ than Pirates current SS Mercer
- Pirates’ reaction mixed to the news of pitch clock in minor leagues
- Pirates notebook: For Holdzkom, a whole new world
- Pirates sign 9 to yearlong deals; 3 going to arbitration