Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Orioles 2; Pirates 7, Twins 4
ORIOLES at PIRATES, 1:05 p.m.
McKechnie Field, Bradenton
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke
Orioles starter: LHP Zach Britton
pIRATES 5, orioles 2
Pirates starter: RHP Gerrit Cole 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
Orioles starter: RHP Miguel Gonzalez 2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
PIRATES 7, TWINS 4
Pirates starter: RHPJonathan Sanchez 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Twins starter: RHP Liam Hendriks 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3 HR
Sanchez long balls: Three guys with the last name Sanchez started for the Pirates against the Twins and ended up with home runs on their stat lines. Catcher Tony Sanchez and first baseman Gaby Sanchez each hit a home run, and starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez allowed one.
Stock up: The bullpen pitched six scoreless innings against the Orioles and 4 1⁄3 against the Twins. Of the 10 relievers used between the two games Sunday, only Stolmy Pimentel allowed a run (two runs, one earned, on three hits in 2 2⁄3 innings).
Stock down: Maybethe anthem singer in Sarasota had never seen the Orioles play before. When the crowd yelled “O” she seemed so caught off guard that she practically laughed through the rest of the anthem.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Pirates notebook: Mercer gains celebrity in Kang’s home country
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Pirates’ Alvarez eager to prove he can play first, regain power stroke
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates