Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Orioles 2; Pirates 7, Twins 4
ORIOLES at PIRATES, 1:05 p.m.
McKechnie Field, Bradenton
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke
Orioles starter: LHP Zach Britton
pIRATES 5, orioles 2
Pirates starter: RHP Gerrit Cole 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
Orioles starter: RHP Miguel Gonzalez 2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
PIRATES 7, TWINS 4
Pirates starter: RHPJonathan Sanchez 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Twins starter: RHP Liam Hendriks 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3 HR
Sanchez long balls: Three guys with the last name Sanchez started for the Pirates against the Twins and ended up with home runs on their stat lines. Catcher Tony Sanchez and first baseman Gaby Sanchez each hit a home run, and starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez allowed one.
Stock up: The bullpen pitched six scoreless innings against the Orioles and 4 1⁄3 against the Twins. Of the 10 relievers used between the two games Sunday, only Stolmy Pimentel allowed a run (two runs, one earned, on three hits in 2 2⁄3 innings).
Stock down: Maybethe anthem singer in Sarasota had never seen the Orioles play before. When the crowd yelled “O” she seemed so caught off guard that she practically laughed through the rest of the anthem.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starting rotation powers Pirates’ surge
- Hammel, Cubs shut down Pirates, snapping 5-game winning streak
- Fan injured by flying bat at Pirates-Cubs game at Wrigley
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle says playing 1 position should benefit Harrison
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Wainwright injury doesn’t sway Hurdle on DH
- Behind starter Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Diamondbacks
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine