Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Orioles 2; Pirates 7, Twins 4
ORIOLES at PIRATES, 1:05 p.m.
McKechnie Field, Bradenton
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke
Orioles starter: LHP Zach Britton
pIRATES 5, orioles 2
Pirates starter: RHP Gerrit Cole 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
Orioles starter: RHP Miguel Gonzalez 2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
PIRATES 7, TWINS 4
Pirates starter: RHPJonathan Sanchez 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Twins starter: RHP Liam Hendriks 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3 HR
Sanchez long balls: Three guys with the last name Sanchez started for the Pirates against the Twins and ended up with home runs on their stat lines. Catcher Tony Sanchez and first baseman Gaby Sanchez each hit a home run, and starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez allowed one.
Stock up: The bullpen pitched six scoreless innings against the Orioles and 4 1⁄3 against the Twins. Of the 10 relievers used between the two games Sunday, only Stolmy Pimentel allowed a run (two runs, one earned, on three hits in 2 2⁄3 innings).
Stock down: Maybethe anthem singer in Sarasota had never seen the Orioles play before. When the crowd yelled “O” she seemed so caught off guard that she practically laughed through the rest of the anthem.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Biertempfel: MLB right to consider ways of enhancing playoff system
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Alvarez atones for defensive woes with home run in Pirates’ win
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Starting 9: Hurdle must act as Pirates’ traffic cop