Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Orioles 2; Pirates 7, Twins 4
By Karen Price
Published: Sunday, March 10, 2013, 7:27 p.m.
Updated: Monday, March 25, 2013
ORIOLES at PIRATES, 1:05 p.m.
McKechnie Field, Bradenton
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke
Orioles starter: LHP Zach Britton
pIRATES 5, orioles 2
Pirates starter: RHP Gerrit Cole 4 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR
Orioles starter: RHP Miguel Gonzalez 2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 SO
PIRATES 7, TWINS 4
Pirates starter: RHPJonathan Sanchez 2 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO
Twins starter: RHP Liam Hendriks 3 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 3 HR
Sanchez long balls: Three guys with the last name Sanchez started for the Pirates against the Twins and ended up with home runs on their stat lines. Catcher Tony Sanchez and first baseman Gaby Sanchez each hit a home run, and starting pitcher Jonathan Sanchez allowed one.
Stock up: The bullpen pitched six scoreless innings against the Orioles and 41⁄3 against the Twins. Of the 10 relievers used between the two games Sunday, only Stolmy Pimentel allowed a run (two runs, one earned, on three hits in 22⁄3 innings).
Stock down: Maybethe anthem singer in Sarasota had never seen the Orioles play before. When the crowd yelled “O” she seemed so caught off guard that she practically laughed through the rest of the anthem.
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Improved roster depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Small adjustment key to Pirates pitcher Liriano’s return to form
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Pirates notebook: Gomez to start Sunday, McDonald has MRI
- Mets phenom Harvey takes next shot against Pirates
- Rodriguez, Walker push Pirates past Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Alvarez sits against righty Gallardo
- Pirates get the bats going, knock off Brewers to take 4-game series
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.