Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Orioles 3
Orioles starter: RHP Jake Arrieta 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB 5 K
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 31⁄3 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
Team Black and Gold: Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, coach Mike Tomlin and tight ends coach James Daniel were at the game. Manager Clint Hurdle said he encouraged them to come down.
That helps: Neil Walker was batting .125 coming into the game (2 for 16) and Brad Hawpe, a non-roster invitee, was batting .130 (3 for 23). Walker hit a double, his first extra-base hit, in the first inning, and Hawpe homered in the eighth.
Stock up: Phil Irwin relieved starter Jeff Locke with one out and runners on first and second then struck out two to end the inning. The right-hander allowed one run on three hits and struck out seven in 32⁄3 innings.
Stock down: Pedro Alvarez was 0 for 2, bringing his total this spring to 2 for 22 with five strikeouts. His batting average dipped to .090 in nine games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Cole to make rehab start at Indianapolis on Monday
- Saturday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Mile-high edge? Hurdle knows Coors Field
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role