Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Orioles 3
Orioles starter: RHP Jake Arrieta 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB 5 K
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 3 1⁄3 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR
Team Black and Gold: Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, coach Mike Tomlin and tight ends coach James Daniel were at the game. Manager Clint Hurdle said he encouraged them to come down.
That helps: Neil Walker was batting .125 coming into the game (2 for 16) and Brad Hawpe, a non-roster invitee, was batting .130 (3 for 23). Walker hit a double, his first extra-base hit, in the first inning, and Hawpe homered in the eighth.
Stock up: Phil Irwin relieved starter Jeff Locke with one out and runners on first and second then struck out two to end the inning. The right-hander allowed one run on three hits and struck out seven in 3 2⁄3 innings.
Stock down: Pedro Alvarez was 0 for 2, bringing his total this spring to 2 for 22 with five strikeouts. His batting average dipped to .090 in nine games.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Pirates notebook: Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Reversing the field: Pirates continue to raid Yankees for hidden skill
- Pirates’ outfield may have few defensive peers
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Steelers’ Tomlin, Pirates’ Hurdle share similar philosophy
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 7, Tigers 3
- Pirates notebook: Pitching prospect Taillon makes steady progress
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base