Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Astros 2
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, March 15, 2013, 5:27 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 28, 2013
Pirates 3, Astros 2
Pirates starter: LHP Jonathan Sanchez 3 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 SO
Astros starter: RHP Brad Peacock 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 4 SO
No freebies: It was the first time in 34 games, going back to May 17, 2011, that Sanchez pitched more than one inning without issuing a walk.
Goin' streakin': Josh Harrison had a pinch-hit single, giving him hits in each of his past six at-bats.
Welcome back: In his first post-WBC outing, right-hander Chris Leroux worked a scoreless seventh inning.
Stock up: After sitting out eight days due to a sore oblique, first baseman Garrett Jones played six innings and went 2 for 3 with one RBI.
Stock down: Russell Martin was either the victim of a clubhouse prank or poor packing habits. Either way, his No. 55 jersey didn't make the trip to Kissimmee, forcing him to wear the rookie-like No. 94.
- Pirates notebook: Bucs shut down injured Karstens
- Pirates’ road trip could define journey
- Pirates waste strong Burnett start, fall again to Brewers at Miller Park
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Alvarez blast propels Pirates past Astros
- Improved depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.