Spring training breakdown: Pirates 4, Red Sox 3
Pirates 4, Red Sox 3
Braves starter : RHP Clay Buchholz — 5 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 4 SO
Pirates starter : RHP James McDonald — 5 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1 HBP
Going deep : Neil Walker launched a solo homer onto the boardwalk in right-center field. It was the first run allowed in 91⁄3 innings this spring by Buchholz.
Going deeper : Gaby Sanchez's two-run blast in the seventh gave the Pirates the lead. Sanchez has a team-high four homers.
On a roll : Starling Marte doubled, giving him hits in six of his past eight games.
Stock rising : Jason Grilli made his first post-WBC appearance and cruised through a 1-2-3 sixth inning.
Stock falling : The weatherman. The start of the game was delayed 48 minutes because of cloudiness. The rain didn't start to fall until after the tarp was removed and play began.
Connections: Red Sox manager John Farrell's oldest son, Jeremy, is an infielder in the Pirates' farm system.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Bucs set single-season attendance record
- Pirates find a bridge at end of baseball world in Holdzkom
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates, Worley edge Brewers, 1-0, move to cusp of playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Worley raring to go after skipping last start
- Sunday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates’ 5-game winning streak ends with 1-0 loss to Brewers
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Saturday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market