Spring training breakdown: Braves 18, Pirates 9
Braves starter: LHP Mike Minor 4 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson 4.2 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 SO, 1 HBP
Bombs away: Andrew McCutchen hit his second HR, a two-run shot to left.
Dangerous: As he slid home to score, Andrelton Simmons crashed into C Michael McKenry and upended him. A scary moment, but McKenry bounced back up and appeared to be fine.
Acrobatic: To get the final out in the long first inning, McKenry tracked Simmons' foul popup toward the Pirates' dugout and made the catch while teetering on the railing.
Stock up: In addition to his stout defensive work, McKenry singled, walked and drove in three runs.
Stock down: RHP Vin Mazzaro came in with two outs in the fifth inning and allowed five straight hits, inclduing a three-run homer by Simmons and a two-run blast by Freddie Freeman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates look to put more pressure on opposition with better baserunning
- Pirates notebook: Harrison’s day cut short by ankle injury
- Spring training breakdown: Blue Jays 4, Pirates 1
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Pirates acquire ex-Marlins reliever
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7