Spring training breakdown: Braves 18, Pirates 9
Braves starter: LHP Mike Minor 4 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson 4.2 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 SO, 1 HBP
Bombs away: Andrew McCutchen hit his second HR, a two-run shot to left.
Dangerous: As he slid home to score, Andrelton Simmons crashed into C Michael McKenry and upended him. A scary moment, but McKenry bounced back up and appeared to be fine.
Acrobatic: To get the final out in the long first inning, McKenry tracked Simmons' foul popup toward the Pirates' dugout and made the catch while teetering on the railing.
Stock up: In addition to his stout defensive work, McKenry singled, walked and drove in three runs.
Stock down: RHP Vin Mazzaro came in with two outs in the fifth inning and allowed five straight hits, inclduing a three-run homer by Simmons and a two-run blast by Freddie Freeman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Biertempfel: Despite Marte’s inconsistency, Pirates’ Hurdle keeping faith
- Going the distance no longer part of the game
- THE BLAME GAME
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 24, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 23, 2015
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak