Spring training breakdown: Braves 18, Pirates 9
Braves starter: LHP Mike Minor 4 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson 4.2 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 SO, 1 HBP
Bombs away: Andrew McCutchen hit his second HR, a two-run shot to left.
Dangerous: As he slid home to score, Andrelton Simmons crashed into C Michael McKenry and upended him. A scary moment, but McKenry bounced back up and appeared to be fine.
Acrobatic: To get the final out in the long first inning, McKenry tracked Simmons' foul popup toward the Pirates' dugout and made the catch while teetering on the railing.
Stock up: In addition to his stout defensive work, McKenry singled, walked and drove in three runs.
Stock down: RHP Vin Mazzaro came in with two outs in the fifth inning and allowed five straight hits, inclduing a three-run homer by Simmons and a two-run blast by Freddie Freeman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Starting 9: As franchise values soar, do owners hold or sell?
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 3
- MLB commissioner: Pirates’ success starts in the front office
- Pirates notebook: Locke makes bid for final rotation spot, Tabata cut
- About face: Pirates’ Burnett now digging the shifts
- Reliever Caminero’s chances of making Pirates’ roster heating up
- Pirates’ Harrison working to use 2014 success as building block
- Pitcher Richard making case to revitalize his career with Pirates