Spring training breakdown: Braves 18, Pirates 9
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Wednesday, March 20, 2013, 6:24 p.m.
Braves starter: LHP Mike Minor 4 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson 4.2 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 SO, 1 HBP
Bombs away: Andrew McCutchen hit his second HR, a two-run shot to left.
Dangerous: As he slid home to score, Andrelton Simmons crashed into C Michael McKenry and upended him. A scary moment, but McKenry bounced back up and appeared to be fine.
Acrobatic: To get the final out in the long first inning, McKenry tracked Simmons' foul popup toward the Pirates' dugout and made the catch while teetering on the railing.
Stock up: In addition to his stout defensive work, McKenry singled, walked and drove in three runs.
Stock down: RHP Vin Mazzaro came in with two outs in the fifth inning and allowed five straight hits, inclduing a three-run homer by Simmons and a two-run blast by Freddie Freeman.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Three ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Stewart activated; Sanchez demoted
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Volquez cruising through innings
- Bucco Blog: Travis Sawchik
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- Previewing Wednesday’s Pirates-Reds game
- Alvarez struggles as Pirates fall short against Brewers