Spring training breakdown: Braves 18, Pirates 9
Braves starter: LHP Mike Minor 4 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson 4.2 IP, 10 H, 9 R, 8 ER, 3 SO, 1 HBP
Bombs away: Andrew McCutchen hit his second HR, a two-run shot to left.
Dangerous: As he slid home to score, Andrelton Simmons crashed into C Michael McKenry and upended him. A scary moment, but McKenry bounced back up and appeared to be fine.
Acrobatic: To get the final out in the long first inning, McKenry tracked Simmons' foul popup toward the Pirates' dugout and made the catch while teetering on the railing.
Stock up: In addition to his stout defensive work, McKenry singled, walked and drove in three runs.
Stock down: RHP Vin Mazzaro came in with two outs in the fifth inning and allowed five straight hits, inclduing a three-run homer by Simmons and a two-run blast by Freddie Freeman.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates win bidding for Korean infielder
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Rossi: Liriano deal good start for Pirates
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude