Spring training breakdown: Pirates 0, Orioles 0 (10 innings)
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:12 p.m.
Updated: Thursday, March 28, 2013
Rays (ss) at Pirates, 1:05 p.m.
McKechnie Field, Bradenton, Fla.
Rays starter: RHP Alex Cobb
Pirates starter: RHP Jeanmar Gomez
pirates 0, orioles 0 (10 innings)
Orioles starter: RHP Jake Arrieta 6 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 9 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jonathan Sanchez 5 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 4 SO, 1 WP
Scratched: Gaby Sanchez was removed from the lineup because of what the Pirates described only as “an allergic reaction.”
Frozen: The Pirates had runners on first and second with one out in the fourth, but Arrieta got Brad Hawpe and Clint Barmes to take called third strikes.
Stock up: Starling Marte jumped on the first pitch of the game and lashed a double to left field. Later, he sprinted to the left-field corner to haul in a deep liner by Chris Davis.
Stock down: Hawpe replaced Sanchez as the designated hitter and went 0 for 3 (all strikeouts) and stranded five runners on base.
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Pirates starters Locke, Wandy enjoying good fortune
- Biertempfel: Pirates lefty Locke settles into rotation
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
- Improved roster depth could drive Pirates’ fortunes deep into season
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.