Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Rays (SS) 4
pirates 6, rays (SS) 4
Rays starter: RHP Alex Cobb 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Jeanmar Gomez 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HBP
The decider: Minor leaguer Stefan Welch hit a game-winning, three-run HR in the eighth inning. It was Welch's first at-bat in a Grapefruit League game.
Hello: Newcomer John McDonald's first hit with the Pirates was an RBI single to left field that gave them a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning.
Yikes: Gaby Sanchez hit a sizzling liner up the middle, which went directly into Cobb's glove as he instinctively moved to protect himself. “I was lucky that it didn't get any part of my body,” Cobb said.
Stock up: Jordy Mercer walked, laid down a nice sacrifice bunt and made an acrobatic defensive play at second base.
Stock down: Lefty Mike Zagurski failed to hold a two-run lead in the fifth inning, serving up a homer for the third outing in a row.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Pirates notebook: Sanchez returns to Bucs in offensive slump
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pirates notebook: Bucs unlikely to make trade before deadline
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Monday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- RF Heisey, Reds avert sweep with a victory over Pirates at PNC Park
- Pirates’ Polanco runs into rookie wall
- Biertempfel: First base becoming new hot corner for Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates vs. Reds
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo