Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Rays (SS) 4
pirates 6, rays (SS) 4
Rays starter: RHP Alex Cobb 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Jeanmar Gomez 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HBP
The decider: Minor leaguer Stefan Welch hit a game-winning, three-run HR in the eighth inning. It was Welch's first at-bat in a Grapefruit League game.
Hello: Newcomer John McDonald's first hit with the Pirates was an RBI single to left field that gave them a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning.
Yikes: Gaby Sanchez hit a sizzling liner up the middle, which went directly into Cobb's glove as he instinctively moved to protect himself. “I was lucky that it didn't get any part of my body,” Cobb said.
Stock up: Jordy Mercer walked, laid down a nice sacrifice bunt and made an acrobatic defensive play at second base.
Stock down: Lefty Mike Zagurski failed to hold a two-run lead in the fifth inning, serving up a homer for the third outing in a row.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Reds, Oct. 4, 2015
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident