Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Rays (SS) 4
pirates 6, rays (SS) 4
Rays starter: RHP Alex Cobb 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Jeanmar Gomez 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HBP
The decider: Minor leaguer Stefan Welch hit a game-winning, three-run HR in the eighth inning. It was Welch's first at-bat in a Grapefruit League game.
Hello: Newcomer John McDonald's first hit with the Pirates was an RBI single to left field that gave them a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning.
Yikes: Gaby Sanchez hit a sizzling liner up the middle, which went directly into Cobb's glove as he instinctively moved to protect himself. “I was lucky that it didn't get any part of my body,” Cobb said.
Stock up: Jordy Mercer walked, laid down a nice sacrifice bunt and made an acrobatic defensive play at second base.
Stock down: Lefty Mike Zagurski failed to hold a two-run lead in the fifth inning, serving up a homer for the third outing in a row.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- New approach on offense has Pirates in playoff contention this season
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle quiet on rotation plans
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Pirates notebook: Pitch could be more than change of pace for Cole
- Pirates notebook: Holdzkom’s wild ride continues