Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Rays (SS) 4
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Friday, March 22, 2013, 5:39 p.m.
Updated: Friday, March 22, 2013
pirates 6, rays (SS) 4
Rays starter: RHP Alex Cobb 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Jeanmar Gomez 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HBP
The decider: Minor leaguer Stefan Welch hit a game-winning, three-run HR in the eighth inning. It was Welch's first at-bat in a Grapefruit League game.
Hello: Newcomer John McDonald's first hit with the Pirates was an RBI single to left field that gave them a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning.
Yikes: Gaby Sanchez hit a sizzling liner up the middle, which went directly into Cobb's glove as he instinctively moved to protect himself. “I was lucky that it didn't get any part of my body,” Cobb said.
Stock up: Jordy Mercer walked, laid down a nice sacrifice bunt and made an acrobatic defensive play at second base.
Stock down: Lefty Mike Zagurski failed to hold a two-run lead in the fifth inning, serving up a homer for the third outing in a row.
- Pirates notebook: Melancon relishes rare save opportunity
- Pirates outfielder Snider certainly proving to be (big) hit
- Pirates notebook: Morton could be back in early June
- Pirates notebook: Penguins jerseys in fashion for road trip
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Pirates minor league notebook: Former 5th-round pick Glasnow shining in rotation
- Pirates notebook: Botched popup shocks Martin
- Former Pirates prospect Grossman now starting in center for Houston
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen scratched with soreness in right knee
- Alvarez blast propels Pirates past Astros
- Starter Liriano impressive again as Pirates blank Cubs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.