Spring training breakdown: Pirates 6, Rays (SS) 4
pirates 6, rays (SS) 4
Rays starter: RHP Alex Cobb 6.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Jeanmar Gomez 4 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 1 HBP
The decider: Minor leaguer Stefan Welch hit a game-winning, three-run HR in the eighth inning. It was Welch's first at-bat in a Grapefruit League game.
Hello: Newcomer John McDonald's first hit with the Pirates was an RBI single to left field that gave them a 2-1 lead in the fourth inning.
Yikes: Gaby Sanchez hit a sizzling liner up the middle, which went directly into Cobb's glove as he instinctively moved to protect himself. “I was lucky that it didn't get any part of my body,” Cobb said.
Stock up: Jordy Mercer walked, laid down a nice sacrifice bunt and made an acrobatic defensive play at second base.
Stock down: Lefty Mike Zagurski failed to hold a two-run lead in the fifth inning, serving up a homer for the third outing in a row.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Blue Jays’ Martin has ‘nothing but praise’ for former Pirates teammates
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after pitcher experienced elbow discomfort
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 8, Blue Jays 7
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Lincoln tries to rejuvenate career in second stint with Pirates
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play