Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Red Sox 3
Red Sox starter: RHP Clay Buchholz 5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 4 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB
Boom: Pedro Alvarez whacked his first home run, a two-run shot to left in the eighth inning.
Whiff: Right-hander Vin Mazzaro had five strikeouts in two innings. Going into the game, he'd fanned five in 7.2 innings.
Get two: With runners on first and second and none out in the ninth, Boston's Blake Swihart popped up a bunt. First baseman Matt Curry dropped the ball, then picked it up to start an unusual 3-5-4 double play. The infield fly rule was not invoked because it was a bunt. “Been working on that on the half-field at 6 o'clock in the morning. Top secret,” pitching coach Ray Searage joked.
Stock up: Recovered from a sore upper back, left-hander Tony Watson tossed a 1-2-3 inning. “Definitely a confidence boost,” Watson said.
Stock down: Neil Walker went 0 for 3 and twice stranded a runner at third base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Tekulve to throw out 1st pitch of Pirates’ postseason
- It’s official: Volquez to start Wednesday for Pirates
- Inside the decision: Pirates chose their own adventure
- Pirates notebook: Reds deny intent after Cueto plunks McCutchen
- Rossi: No matter outcome, Pirates arrive
- Pitcher Cueto, Reds dash Pirates’ division title hopes in finale
- Pirates bench coach Banister interviews for Astros manager job
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Braves
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin