Spring training breakdown: Pirates 5, Red Sox 3
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Saturday, March 23, 2013, 6:06 p.m.
Red Sox starter: RHP Clay Buchholz 5.1 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO
Pirates starter: LHP Jeff Locke 4 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 1 BB
Boom: Pedro Alvarez whacked his first home run, a two-run shot to left in the eighth inning.
Whiff: Right-hander Vin Mazzaro had five strikeouts in two innings. Going into the game, he'd fanned five in 7.2 innings.
Get two: With runners on first and second and none out in the ninth, Boston's Blake Swihart popped up a bunt. First baseman Matt Curry dropped the ball, then picked it up to start an unusual 3-5-4 double play. The infield fly rule was not invoked because it was a bunt. “Been working on that on the half-field at 6 o'clock in the morning. Top secret,” pitching coach Ray Searage joked.
Stock up: Recovered from a sore upper back, left-hander Tony Watson tossed a 1-2-3 inning. “Definitely a confidence boost,” Watson said.
Stock down: Neil Walker went 0 for 3 and twice stranded a runner at third base.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle familiar with Ike Davis’ lineage
- Preview of Thursday’s Pirates-Reds game
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Breaking down Thursday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution