Spring training breakdown: Orioles 12, Pirates 10
pirates at Rays, 7:05 p.m.
Charlotte Sports Park, Port Charlotte, Fla.
Radio: KDKA-FM (93.7), WCNS-AM (1480), Pirates Radio Network
Pirates starter: LHPKyle McPherson
Rays starter: LHP Matt Moore
Orioles 12, Pirates 10
Orioles starter: LHP Brian Matusz —4 IP, 9 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
Pirates starter: RHP Chris Leroux — 0.1 IP, 5 H, 7 ER, 2 BB
Tossed: Catcher Russell Martin never got to see the second out of the game. He was ejected with one out in the top of the first inning after voicing displeasure with umpire Chad Fairchild's ball-strike calls.
Got it: Right fielder Jose Tabata slipped on the wet grass but made a fine catch of Taylor Teagarden's shallow blooper in the fourth inning.
All the way back: The Pirates tied the game at 10 with a five-run sixth inning. Gaby Sanchez had a two-run single, and Pedro Alvarez lined a two-run double.
Stock up: Martin gained a measure of respect from his new teammates by sticking up for Leroux. You want clubhouse presence? There it is.
Stock down: Left-hander Mike Zagurski yielded the game-winning hit, a solo homer by ex-Pirate Steve Pearce. Zagurski has yielded homers in four straight outings.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Cardinals clinch NL Central by beating Pirates in 2nd game of doubleheader