Pirates notebook: Martin stands up for pitcher, gets ejected
• Catcher Russell Martin knows people will wonder how he could get ejected from a spring training game. “I treat it like it was a regular-season game in my intensity and how I go about it,” Martin said. In the top of the first inning, Martin thought umpire Chad Fairchild was squeezing the strike zone against Pirates pitcher Chris Leroux, who gave up eight runs, five hits and two walks. Martin made what he admitted was an angry remark, and Fairchild gave him the boot.
• Making an emergency start after Jeff Karstens was scratched, Leroux got one out and gave up eight runs. “Probably the worst inning I've ever had,” Leroux said. “Let's all be happy it was in spring training. I've been sharp up to this point.”
• Brandon Inge (sore shoulder) is slated to start at first base Monday against Tampa Bay. It will be Inge's first game since Wednesday.
• Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl attended the game.
• With unseasonably cold weather in the forecast, Pirates starters likely will make quick exits from the scrimmage Saturday in Altoona. “We certainly want to honor the exhibition game for the 10,000 fans who've purchased tickets,” GM Neal Huntington said. “At the same time, we want to make sure we're ready to go April 1. In most exhibition games, starters don't play the whole game, anyway.”
• The Pirates and Chicago Cubs will work out at PNC Park on March 31, the day before the season opener. The workouts are not open to the public.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- Pirates’ struggling catcher Sanchez sent home from Dominican Winter League
- Pirates target rotation help at Winter Meetings
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension