Pirates notebook: Martin stands up for pitcher, gets ejected
• Catcher Russell Martin knows people will wonder how he could get ejected from a spring training game. “I treat it like it was a regular-season game in my intensity and how I go about it,” Martin said. In the top of the first inning, Martin thought umpire Chad Fairchild was squeezing the strike zone against Pirates pitcher Chris Leroux, who gave up eight runs, five hits and two walks. Martin made what he admitted was an angry remark, and Fairchild gave him the boot.
• Making an emergency start after Jeff Karstens was scratched, Leroux got one out and gave up eight runs. “Probably the worst inning I've ever had,” Leroux said. “Let's all be happy it was in spring training. I've been sharp up to this point.”
• Brandon Inge (sore shoulder) is slated to start at first base Monday against Tampa Bay. It will be Inge's first game since Wednesday.
• Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl attended the game.
• With unseasonably cold weather in the forecast, Pirates starters likely will make quick exits from the scrimmage Saturday in Altoona. “We certainly want to honor the exhibition game for the 10,000 fans who've purchased tickets,” GM Neal Huntington said. “At the same time, we want to make sure we're ready to go April 1. In most exhibition games, starters don't play the whole game, anyway.”
• The Pirates and Chicago Cubs will work out at PNC Park on March 31, the day before the season opener. The workouts are not open to the public.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Pirates notebook: Nutting says team may ‘stretch’ for Martin
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Ex-Pirate Tekulve: PNC Park reception ‘unbelievable’
- Rossi: Pirates plan to carry Hurdle deep into playoffs
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Mercer’s improved defense at shortstop gives Pirates a boost
- Pirates notebook: Martin feels ‘pretty good,’ will start vs. Giants
- Volquez latest rehabbed arm to get ball on big stage for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: GM Huntington says team will stretch payroll to retain Martin
- 20 improbable Pirates wins in 2014