Spring training breakdown: Twins 7, Pirates 4
Twins 7, Pirates 4
Twins starter: RHP Vance Worley — 5 IP, 7 H, 2 ER, 5 SO, 1 WP
Pirates starter: RHP A.J. Burnett — 3 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 2 SO, 1 HB, 1 WP
New role: RHP Jeanmar Gomez, the newly anointed long man in the bullpen, tossed 3 2⁄3 innings after replacing Burnett and took the loss. Gomez has started 38 of his 42 games in the majors.
Gotcha: Catcher Russell Martin twice threw out Doug Bernier trying to steal second base.
Can't get ya: Byron Buxton swiped two bags against Martin.
Stock up: Alvarez got hits in his first three at-bats, including a towering solo home run to right field off Worley. His single in the ninth gave him three RBI.
Stock down: Alvarez grounded into a double play in his fourth at-bat. In the eighth inning, his throwing error led to two unearned runs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitcher Arrieta, Cubs shut down Pirates in victory at PNC Park
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs Aug. 5, 2015
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Liriano shrugs off rain-ruined start
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Pirates pursuing trade offers for first baseman Alvarez
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength