Spring training breakdown: Rays 6, Pirates 2
Rays starter: LHP Matt Moore — 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 3 SO, 1 WP
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson— 5 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
A natural: Normally an infielder, Josh Harrison made his first spring start in left field. He sprinted to the corner and made a fine catch of Kelly Johnson's fly ball.
Bad bounce: Right fielder Jose Tabata jumped and nearly snagged Ben Zobrist's deep fly, but the ball glanced off his glove and went over the wall for a two-run HR.
Stock up: Russell Martin wasn't fibbing when he said he feels locked in at the plate. He singled in his first at-bat, then lined a ground-rule RBI double to left in the second one.
Stock down: Brandon Inge looked uncomfortable at first base; he bobbled a throw from shortstop Clint Barmes for an error. Inge also struck out with the bases loaded and one out in the first inning.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates hold on to beat Red Sox, complete 3-game sweep at PNC
- Stats speak: Sliders stand between Pirates, playoffs
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Friday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Castillo’s debut underscores challenges in Cuban market
- Pirates hit 3 HRs in rout of Red Sox
- Pitt notebook: Expanded game plan likely awaits Iowa
- Morton, Pirates blank Red Sox in series opener
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant
- Thursday’s scouting report: Red Sox at Pirates