Spring training breakdown: Rays 6, Pirates 2
Rays starter: LHP Matt Moore — 5 IP, 6 H, 2 ER, 5 BB, 3 SO, 1 WP
Pirates starter: RHP Kyle McPherson— 5 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO
A natural: Normally an infielder, Josh Harrison made his first spring start in left field. He sprinted to the corner and made a fine catch of Kelly Johnson's fly ball.
Bad bounce: Right fielder Jose Tabata jumped and nearly snagged Ben Zobrist's deep fly, but the ball glanced off his glove and went over the wall for a two-run HR.
Stock up: Russell Martin wasn't fibbing when he said he feels locked in at the plate. He singled in his first at-bat, then lined a ground-rule RBI double to left in the second one.
Stock down: Brandon Inge looked uncomfortable at first base; he bobbled a throw from shortstop Clint Barmes for an error. Inge also struck out with the bases loaded and one out in the first inning.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson