Spring training breakdown: Curve 8, Pirates 6
By Karen Price
Published: Saturday, March 30, 2013, 7:03 p.m.
Pirates starter: James McDonald 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 2 WP
Curve starter: Jason Grilli 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K
Which way do I go?: Jason Grilli, Jared Hughes and Justin Wilson each pitched one inning, and Tony Watson pitched 2⁄3 of an inning for Altoona. All four started toward the Pirates' dugout after the third out before turning and going to the Curve's side.
Stars come out: Altoona announced it will host the 2014 Eastern League All-Star Game on July 16, 2014. It will be the second time the franchise has hosted the game and first time since 2006.
Stock up: Starling Marte crushed a grand slam to left field off Tony Watson to tie the game, 4-4, in the second inning. Marte, who won the Eastern League batting title in Altoona in 2011, had just one RBI and no home runs this spring.
Stock down: James McDonald had a rocky first inning. The right-hander threw 38 pitches to nine batters, gave up four runs and three hits, threw a wild pitch, walked three and allowed two stolen bases.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Previewing Wednesday’s Pirates-Reds game
- Polanco off to red-hot start at Triple-A Indianapolis
- Pirates conclude wild suspended game with win, drop 2nd of series
- One-time Bucs pitching prospect now a promising power hitter
- Stats Corner: Pedro adds contact, patience to power game
- Biertempfel: Expect less yelling with MLB’s replay system
- Pirates Gameday
- Pirates gameday
- Bad weather halts homer-filled game between Reds, Pirates
- Previewing Thursday’s Pirates-Cubs game