Spring training breakdown: Curve 8, Pirates 6
Pirates starter: James McDonald 2 IP, 3 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 4 BB, 2 K, 2 WP
Curve starter: Jason Grilli 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K
Which way do I go?: Jason Grilli, Jared Hughes and Justin Wilson each pitched one inning, and Tony Watson pitched 2⁄3 of an inning for Altoona. All four started toward the Pirates' dugout after the third out before turning and going to the Curve's side.
Stars come out: Altoona announced it will host the 2014 Eastern League All-Star Game on July 16, 2014. It will be the second time the franchise has hosted the game and first time since 2006.
Stock up: Starling Marte crushed a grand slam to left field off Tony Watson to tie the game, 4-4, in the second inning. Marte, who won the Eastern League batting title in Altoona in 2011, had just one RBI and no home runs this spring.
Stock down: James McDonald had a rocky first inning. The right-hander threw 38 pitches to nine batters, gave up four runs and three hits, threw a wild pitch, walked three and allowed two stolen bases.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates tender deals to 11 players, cut ties with Sanchez
- Pirates notebook: Trade talks continue, but no deals imminent
- Pirates GM Huntington shifts focus to bullpen help
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal