Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Rockies game
• Francisco Liriano has become a more efficient pitcher in the second half of the season. After pitching seven innings or more just twice in the first half, Liriano has thrown at least seven innings in four of his last five starts, including a complete game July 5. Liriano's stuff is back to near where it was prior to his elbow surgery and his command has rarely been better in his career.
• The Rockies' bullpen was used heavily in their previous series vs. Atlanta. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said an objective this series is for Pirates batters to increase the Rockies starters' pitch counts. Rockies starter Jorge De La Rosa has been wild at times, walking 3.1 batters per nine innings.
• Hurdle said there has been no discussion about using rookie catcher Tony Sanchez at other positions — like first base and right field — to get his bat in the lineup. Hurdle said the focus is on developing his catching ability.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates starting pitcher Cole growing in his 1st full major-league season
- Friday’s scouting report: Reds at Pirates
- Statistically speaking: Can Pirates contain Hamilton on bases
- Starkey: Bucs still battlin’
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen returns to starting lineup; Alvarez out
- Pirates notebook: Breakout of catching prospect Diaz a pleasant surprise
- Rossi: Pirates showing more this summer
- Monday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates
- Sunday’s scouting report: Pirates at Brewers
- Wednesday’s scouting report: Cardinals at Pirates