Pirates notebook: Decision forthcoming on Rodriguez's availability
• The Pirates will wait as long as possible before deciding whether left-hander Wandy Rodriguez will make his next scheduled start. Rodriguez strained his left hamstring Monday and left the game against the Arizona Diamondbacks after pitching 2 1⁄3 innings. His next turn would come Sunday against the Cincinnati Reds at PNC Park. “We're going to give Wandy time to see if he's able to make that start,” manager Clint Hurdle said Tuesday.
• If Rodriguez cannot pitch, the Pirates would use Jeanmar Gomez or call up someone from Triple-A Indianapolis to make a spot start. Left-hander Andy Oliver pitched Tuesday for Indy against Toledo and is slated to work again Sunday. Oliver is on the 40-man roster.
• A decision about Rodriguez's status might not come until Friday. Rodriguez was walking without any apparent discomfort Tuesday and said he felt better.
• A.J. Burnett and Jeff Locke will start the first two games of the series against the Reds. Hurdle wants to keep James McDonald and Jonathan Sanchez in place to pitch the games Monday and Tuesday, respectively, against the Cardinals.
• Francisco Liriano (broken arm) and Jose Contreras (elbow surgery) are scheduled to throw Wednesday at Pirate City in Bradenton, Fla.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Pirates’ Cole reinforces status as emerging ace
- Pirates notebook: Miffed Melancon finds success, will stick with his routine
- Bradenton outfielder Barnes burdened by his body
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 26, 2015
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Pirates notebook: Richard doesn’t exercise opt-out clause in contract
- Super-agent Boras says Pirates will have opportunity to re-sign Alvarez, Cole
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory