Pirates notebook: Mazzaro called up to bolster weary bullpen
Right-hander Bryan Morris was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis and righty Vin Mazzaro was selected from Indy on Tuesday. The move wasn't made due to Morris' performance. The bullpen was overworked and Mazzaro is a fresh arm.
Mazzaro, who's started 45 of his 66 games in the majors, was one of the last cuts in spring training camp. At Indy, he made three scoreless relief outings, allowing three hits and amassing nine strikeouts in seven innings.
“It was one of the best springs I've had,” Mazzaro said. “I felt good, my recovery was good and all that. I've adjusted to (a relief role) and I like it.”
• Left-hander Justin Wilson was not available Tuesday after throwing 3 1⁄3 innings Monday and 1 2⁄3 innings on Saturday. “It's unfortunateJames (McDonald) had to make an early exit (Monday), but that's part of the game. It happens,” Wilson said. “You have to stay ready down there (in the pen). When you come in, in that kind of situation, you really want to get the first guy out and get the inning over with. Throw strikes, get outs. Throw your game.”
• Left-hander Wandy Rodriguez will throw in the bullpen Wednesday to test his tender left hamstring. If all goes well, he'll start as scheduled Friday against the Atlanta Braves. “He seems to be moving in a good direction to make that start,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
• Right-hander Charlie Morton (elbow surgery) is scheduled to throw three innings/50 pitches Thursday for High-A Bradenton. Left-hander Francisco Liriano (broken right arm) and right-hander Jose Contreras (elbow surgery) pitched Monday for Bradenton. Liriano threw 40 pitches in three scoreless innings and got six strikeouts. Contreras gave up two runs in two innings of relief.
• West Virginia first baseman Stetson Allie was named Low-A South Atlantic League Player of the Week. Allie batted .396 with a league-best five home runs and 16 RBI, and also had a 10-game hitting streak.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates special instructor Tekulve taking second chance to heart
- Pirates notebook: Hart ‘down a few days’ after cutting foot
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Rossi: Fitting in will be Kang’s biggest hurdle
- Pirates notebook: Sadler gets first Grapefruit start
- Sawchik: Should McCutchen really get a huge salary bump?
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- Rossi: Pirates better with Maz on scene
- Burnett’s farewell tour wishlist has just 1 item: Pirates World Series
- Pirates notebook: Infield prospect Hanson used to playing elders
- Team interaction important to Pirates veteran pitcher Burnett