Pirates notebook: Mazzaro called up to bolster weary bullpen
Right-hander Bryan Morris was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis and righty Vin Mazzaro was selected from Indy on Tuesday. The move wasn't made due to Morris' performance. The bullpen was overworked and Mazzaro is a fresh arm.
Mazzaro, who's started 45 of his 66 games in the majors, was one of the last cuts in spring training camp. At Indy, he made three scoreless relief outings, allowing three hits and amassing nine strikeouts in seven innings.
“It was one of the best springs I've had,” Mazzaro said. “I felt good, my recovery was good and all that. I've adjusted to (a relief role) and I like it.”
• Left-hander Justin Wilson was not available Tuesday after throwing 3 1⁄3 innings Monday and 1 2⁄3 innings on Saturday. “It's unfortunateJames (McDonald) had to make an early exit (Monday), but that's part of the game. It happens,” Wilson said. “You have to stay ready down there (in the pen). When you come in, in that kind of situation, you really want to get the first guy out and get the inning over with. Throw strikes, get outs. Throw your game.”
• Left-hander Wandy Rodriguez will throw in the bullpen Wednesday to test his tender left hamstring. If all goes well, he'll start as scheduled Friday against the Atlanta Braves. “He seems to be moving in a good direction to make that start,” manager Clint Hurdle said.
• Right-hander Charlie Morton (elbow surgery) is scheduled to throw three innings/50 pitches Thursday for High-A Bradenton. Left-hander Francisco Liriano (broken right arm) and right-hander Jose Contreras (elbow surgery) pitched Monday for Bradenton. Liriano threw 40 pitches in three scoreless innings and got six strikeouts. Contreras gave up two runs in two innings of relief.
• West Virginia first baseman Stetson Allie was named Low-A South Atlantic League Player of the Week. Allie batted .396 with a league-best five home runs and 16 RBI, and also had a 10-game hitting streak.
— Rob Biertempfel
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Simulated game to provide clues for Burnett return
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Alvarez atones for defensive woes with home run in Pirates’ win
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 25, 2015
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins