Penguins notebook: Malkin still limited in practice
• CenterEvgeni Malkin remains day to day with a re-aggravated upper-body injury, Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Tuesday. His status for the Penguins' game against Montreal on Wednesday has not been determined. Malkin, the reigning MVP, is bothered by soreness in his right shoulder that he said has weakened his shot. He practiced at Consol Energy Center on Monday, but he did not participate in drills with teammates and instead worked mostly on his own. Malkin did not play at Florida on Saturday because of the injury — re-aggravated by a hit from Tampa Bay's Pierre-Cedric Labrie last Thursday. Malkin previously missed nine consecutive games because of the right shoulder, which was injured on a hit from Toronto's James van Riemsdyk on March 9.
• Center Sidney Crosby (broken jaw), right winger James Neal (concussion) and defenseman Paul Martin (broken thumb) each worked out with Penguins strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar before practice. It was the second consecutive day of workouts for those injured players, though Bylsma said there was no update on their respective statuses. Crosby and Neal are out indefinitely. Martin is in the third week of a four-to-six week prognosis for recovery.
• Bylsma said he expected to stick with his goaltending plan for the Penguins' final six regular-season games. That plan calls for either Marc-Andre Fleury or Thomas Vokoun to play in two of the next three games, and the other goalie to play in two of the three final regular-season games.
•Mark Recchi and Dr. Charles Burke will join the Penguins' All-Time Team prior to the game against Montreal on Wednesday. Recchi, who played three stints with the Penguins, will be the 16th player to join All-Time Team, which is celebrated with a video display inside the Trib Total Media Gate. Burke, an orthopedic surgeon, worked with the Penguins from 1983-2012, including the final 25 years as head team physician. He will become the 14th builder to be honored as part of the All-Time Team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Rain postpones Pirates-Cubs game
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates bolster bullpen by trading for former closer Soria