Root switches from end of Pirates' game Saturday
By Bob Cohn
Published: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 4:24 p.m.
Fans sweating out the Pirates' 5-3 win Saturday over the Cardinals on Root Sports had to listen to the radio or watch the Penguins telecast to learn how the game turned out.
With two out, two on and the Pirates leading, 5-2, in the top of the ninth inning in St. Louis, Root cut away to show the Penguins' game against Carolina at Consol Energy Center in its entirety.
The Pirates' Pedro Alvarez was batting with a 1-1 count when play-by-play man Greg Brown informed the viewers, “As the Pirates and Cardinals continue to play, we are going to send you to Pittsburgh as the Penguins tune up for the playoffs and host the Carolina Hurricanes in their last regular-season game. We will continue to update you on the Pirates throughout the Penguins game.”
Root then switched to Rob King in the studio, who said, “If there are any key highlights, key plays, the winning moment, we will bring that to you during the course of tonight's Pens game.”
He also also noted that the Pirates score would be shown in the upper right corner of the screen.
During the Penguins game, Root showed replays of Carlos Beltran's run-scoring double in the bottom of the ninth that made it 5-3, and Matt Holliday, who represented the tying run, grounding out to end the game.
“We started having conversations with the Pirates and Penguins immediately after the revised NHL schedule was released back in January,” Root executive vice president and general manager Shawn McClintock said in an email Sunday. “We all worked to maximize the 39 total games, including 9 days both teams played on the same day during the month of April.”
McClintock added that Root had a “plan in place” Saturday night that included the alert to switch to the Penguins, showing highlights and the continuous score, and showing “extended” Pirates highlights after the Penguins game.
— Bob Cohn
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade for Mets first baseman Davis
- Pirates notebook: Players show support for Franklin Regional
- Alvarez struggles as Pirates fall short against Brewers
- Breaking down Saturday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Patience pays off as starting pitcher Volquez gets 1st win for Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Pirates starter Morton learns to trust his stuff
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Cueto gets best of Pirates, as Reds capture series from rival
- Pirates notebook: Tabata OK’d to return to play
- Pirates should exploit free-swinging Brewers