Pirates add metal-detecting screeners at PNC Park
The Pirates resumed using metal-detecting wands to screen fans entering PNC Park on Wednesday, one night after the new procedure resulted in significant delays getting into the park.
In an effort to reduce fans' wait times, the team increased the number of staffers using wands and entry corrals to organize the lines, though it was unclear how many more staffers and corrals were employed.
The team abandoned the wanding plan Tuesday after lines wrapped around the ballpark even after the game had started. Pirates president Frank Coonelly issued a statement apologizing for the situation and echoed that sentiment in another statement Wednesday.
“While we expected to experience some growing pains in implementing the use of metal detecting wands at the gates, the experience (Tuesday) night was unacceptable,” Coonelly said. “That cannot and will not happen again.”
Pirates spokesman Brian Warecki said there were a number of issues that led to the backup.
“As such, we have made adjustments to our staffing, gate access points and procedures to ensure that our fans do not experience the type of lines that they encountered (Tuesday),” he said.
The Pirates encouraged fans to leave unnecessary bags and metal objects at home or in their cars and to hold their keys, cell phones and any other metal objects in their hands as they approach the screeners.
They also asked that fans allow additional time when coming to the game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Patience serves as virtue amid prospect Glasnow’s quest for majors
- Biertempfel: Pittsburgh native faced quick learning curve as Marlins GM
- Happ’s strong start, Ramirez’s homer pace Pirates past Rockies
- Pirates, Cubs to make up postponed game Sept. 15
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle’s faith in Polanco pays off
- Strong-armed outfielder Garcia growing into all-around threat
- Starting 9: Pirates place renewed emphasis on nabbing base-stealers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 30, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options