Pirates notebook: Hurdle happy with dads' trip
CHICAGO — Pirates players have been spending time with their fathers this weekend in Chicago as part of a special dads' trip.
Manager Clint Hurdle said he brought the idea to invite the fathers along on a trip to team president Frank Coonelly's attention last year, and he became the driving force.
“I think it's a great idea,” Hurdle said. “One of the sobering things was when I first brought the idea to my coaching staff. There was only one other coach whose father is still alive. It was a very sobering thing. I knew there was a few, but ... we've lost two this year (Nick Leyva's and Euclides Rojas' fathers).”
Hurdle's father became part of a Twitter and blogosphere eruption Friday when a Wrigley Field security guard started yelling at Root Sports reporter Robby Incmikoski while he interviewed the senior Hurdle live in the stands during the game. Incmikoski had to cut the interview short.
“That was funny,” said Hurdle, who added that he had a couple of sisters who were “hot” over the incident. “At the end of the day, that was funny. Obviously that becomes an eventful part of it.”
Second baseman Neil Walker was removed from Saturday's game before the bottom of the fifth inning with discomfort in his right side and replaced by Brandon Inge. Hurdle said he believed Walker hurt himself swinging. He received treatment and is day to day.
The Pirates hit three triples and stole four bases in the series opener at Wrigley Field on Friday. According to Elias Sports Bureau, only one other team has done that at Wrigley. The Cardinals stole four bases and hit three triples but lost a 14-inning game Aug. 1, 1985.
Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville was at Wrigley Field and brought the Stanley Cup, which sat at home plate prior to the game. … Sunday is the last day of the Pirates' most recent You Score as the Bucs Score promotion. For every run scored during the series against Chicago, fans will get $1 off tickets in the lower outfield box and outfield box seats for the series against Oakland next week. Through two games, the total is at $7.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident