Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Marlins game
• Charlie Morton has pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts after failing to pitch beyond the fifth inning in four June starts. Morton has issued just one walk in each of his last two starts. Morton is also coming off his best velocity outing as his fastball averaged 94 mph in his start against Washington.
• The Marlins have become a more difficult team to prepare for after calling up rookie outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick this week. The Pirates have limited scouting reports on each player. Both are top prospects and Yelich became just the second Marlin to begin his career with three hits Tuesday.
FoxSports.com reported Friday that it expects the Pirates to become more engaged in the trade market for relief pitching. The Pirates announced closer Jason Grilli will miss between four and eight weeks earlier in the day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Statistically speaking: Rockies’ bullpen suffering meltdowns
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- A quest to get to core of MLB oblique injury trend
- Snider’s pinch-hit double lifts Pirates over Rockies
- Pirates complete sweep of Rockies with comeback win at PNC
- Stats Corner: Pirates’ Harrison making history as a utility player
- Pirates notebook: Huntington staying patient as trade deadline approaches