Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Marlins game
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
• Charlie Morton has pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts after failing to pitch beyond the fifth inning in four June starts. Morton has issued just one walk in each of his last two starts. Morton is also coming off his best velocity outing as his fastball averaged 94 mph in his start against Washington.
• The Marlins have become a more difficult team to prepare for after calling up rookie outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick this week. The Pirates have limited scouting reports on each player. Both are top prospects and Yelich became just the second Marlin to begin his career with three hits Tuesday.
FoxSports.com reported Friday that it expects the Pirates to become more engaged in the trade market for relief pitching. The Pirates announced closer Jason Grilli will miss between four and eight weeks earlier in the day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates reserve outfielder Dickerson is also at home on soccer pitch
- Pirates notebook: Volquez, Morton struggle
- Pirates’ big risk with pitch-heavy draft focus might soon pay off
- Spring training breakdown: Red Sox 4, Pirates 1; Orioles 9, Pirates 2
- Stats Corner: McCutchen’s contract extension brings huge cost savings
- Pirates notebook: Liriano looks to complete consecutive quality seasons
- Pirates notebook: Closer Grilli sharp in brief outing
- Leyland content in new role with Tigers, rules out a return to Pirates
- Pirates notebook: Locke cautious with ‘pull’ in right side
- Pirates seek to tap Alvarez’s remaining upside
- Pirates outfield prospect Polanco is working hard to refine his game