Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Marlins game
• Charlie Morton has pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts after failing to pitch beyond the fifth inning in four June starts. Morton has issued just one walk in each of his last two starts. Morton is also coming off his best velocity outing as his fastball averaged 94 mph in his start against Washington.
• The Marlins have become a more difficult team to prepare for after calling up rookie outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick this week. The Pirates have limited scouting reports on each player. Both are top prospects and Yelich became just the second Marlin to begin his career with three hits Tuesday.
FoxSports.com reported Friday that it expects the Pirates to become more engaged in the trade market for relief pitching. The Pirates announced closer Jason Grilli will miss between four and eight weeks earlier in the day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 23, 2015
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Starting 9: Should Pirates maximize McCutchen window by trading for a star?
- Biertempfel: Pirates are music to Price’s ears
- Rossi: Not too early to go with Kang