Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Marlins game
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
• Charlie Morton has pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts after failing to pitch beyond the fifth inning in four June starts. Morton has issued just one walk in each of his last two starts. Morton is also coming off his best velocity outing as his fastball averaged 94 mph in his start against Washington.
• The Marlins have become a more difficult team to prepare for after calling up rookie outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick this week. The Pirates have limited scouting reports on each player. Both are top prospects and Yelich became just the second Marlin to begin his career with three hits Tuesday.
FoxSports.com reported Friday that it expects the Pirates to become more engaged in the trade market for relief pitching. The Pirates announced closer Jason Grilli will miss between four and eight weeks earlier in the day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- Preview of Wednesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Pirates notebook: Rodriguez placed on DL, Hughes promoted
- Davis embraces new opportunity with Pirates
- 3 ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Biertempfel: Kendall’s book offers inside look at life in majors
- Pirates minor league notebook: Mt. Lebanon grad keeping steady approach
- Preview of Tuesday’s Reds-Pirates game
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle standing behind Grilli
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates