Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Marlins game
Published: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
• Charlie Morton has pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts after failing to pitch beyond the fifth inning in four June starts. Morton has issued just one walk in each of his last two starts. Morton is also coming off his best velocity outing as his fastball averaged 94 mph in his start against Washington.
• The Marlins have become a more difficult team to prepare for after calling up rookie outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick this week. The Pirates have limited scouting reports on each player. Both are top prospects and Yelich became just the second Marlin to begin his career with three hits Tuesday.
FoxSports.com reported Friday that it expects the Pirates to become more engaged in the trade market for relief pitching. The Pirates announced closer Jason Grilli will miss between four and eight weeks earlier in the day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates general manager Huntington is searching for right player, deal
- Pirates notebook: Polanco ruled out as Opening Day option
- Pirates notebook: Huntington narrows team’s offseason targets
- Pirates will shop while starting pitcher Burnett makes his decision
- Pirates’ Snider talks about surgery, rebuilding swing
- Breaking down the Pirates’ needs entering winter meetings
- Ex-Pirate Jones close to signing with Marlins
- Pirates make offers to 7 players at arbitration deadline
- Film about former Pirates pitcher Dock Ellis in prestigious festival