Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Marlins game
• Charlie Morton has pitched at least six innings in each of his last three starts after failing to pitch beyond the fifth inning in four June starts. Morton has issued just one walk in each of his last two starts. Morton is also coming off his best velocity outing as his fastball averaged 94 mph in his start against Washington.
• The Marlins have become a more difficult team to prepare for after calling up rookie outfielders Christian Yelich and Jake Marisnick this week. The Pirates have limited scouting reports on each player. Both are top prospects and Yelich became just the second Marlin to begin his career with three hits Tuesday.
FoxSports.com reported Friday that it expects the Pirates to become more engaged in the trade market for relief pitching. The Pirates announced closer Jason Grilli will miss between four and eight weeks earlier in the day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 4, 2015
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 3, 2015
- Bush Center displays rare Honus Wagner baseball card
- Gameday: Pirates at Tigers, July 2, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Detroit, July 1, 2015
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Pirates notebook: Pitchers’ ploys force Kang to adapt