Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Wednesday will be Wainwright's 23rd start but the first time he'll face the Pirates this season. In 19 career outings (15 starts) vs. the Pirates, Wainwright is 8-4, including a 5-1 record at PNC Park. The righty has yielded 18 walks, the fewest among NL starters with 100-plus IP. Wainwright did not issue a walk over his first 34 2⁄3 IP this season — the second-longest streak by a Cardinals pitcher since 1900.
• Through Monday, catcher Yadier Molina (59 games) and outfielder Matt Holliday (50 games) had appeared in more games at PNC Park than any of their Cardinals teammates. Molina had a .330 batting average and .835 OPS on the North Shore. Holliday had a .302 average and a .839 OPS.
• The Pirates said Tuesday they still are evaluating medical reports on catcher Michael McKenry's sprained left knee. McKenry is not eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 12. If surgery is necessary, he likely will be out for the season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates acquire Soria from Tigers
- Pirates notebook: Blanton introduced; Worley designated for assignment
- Pirates acquire pitcher Blanton from Royals for cash
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Prospect Tucker unaware of ‘trade’ frenzy
- Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
- Kang’s 9th-inning home run gives Pirates wild victory over Twins
- Gameday: Pirates at Twins, July 29, 2015
- Pirates’ Liriano unaffected by poor last outing against Twins
- McCutchen, Pirates cruise to interleague victory over Twins
- Pirates notebook: No sign of improvement for RHP Sadler