Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Wednesday will be Wainwright's 23rd start but the first time he'll face the Pirates this season. In 19 career outings (15 starts) vs. the Pirates, Wainwright is 8-4, including a 5-1 record at PNC Park. The righty has yielded 18 walks, the fewest among NL starters with 100-plus IP. Wainwright did not issue a walk over his first 342⁄3 IP this season — the second-longest streak by a Cardinals pitcher since 1900.
• Through Monday, catcher Yadier Molina (59 games) and outfielder Matt Holliday (50 games) had appeared in more games at PNC Park than any of their Cardinals teammates. Molina had a .330 batting average and .835 OPS on the North Shore. Holliday had a .302 average and a .839 OPS.
• The Pirates said Tuesday they still are evaluating medical reports on catcher Michael McKenry's sprained left knee. McKenry is not eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 12. If surgery is necessary, he likely will be out for the season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates bench coach Jeff Banister named Rangers manager
- Pirates organization to continue pursuing value free agents in offseason
- Sound familiar? Pirates enter offseason trying to solidify 1B position
- Pirates notebook: Team wary of Polanco, Marte playing full winter season
- Pirates’ Banister named finalist for Rangers’ managing job