Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Cardinals game
By Rob Biertempfel
Published: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 12:01 a.m.
Wednesday will be Wainwright's 23rd start but the first time he'll face the Pirates this season. In 19 career outings (15 starts) vs. the Pirates, Wainwright is 8-4, including a 5-1 record at PNC Park. The righty has yielded 18 walks, the fewest among NL starters with 100-plus IP. Wainwright did not issue a walk over his first 342⁄3 IP this season — the second-longest streak by a Cardinals pitcher since 1900.
• Through Monday, catcher Yadier Molina (59 games) and outfielder Matt Holliday (50 games) had appeared in more games at PNC Park than any of their Cardinals teammates. Molina had a .330 batting average and .835 OPS on the North Shore. Holliday had a .302 average and a .839 OPS.
• The Pirates said Tuesday they still are evaluating medical reports on catcher Michael McKenry's sprained left knee. McKenry is not eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 12. If surgery is necessary, he likely will be out for the season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Breaking down Thursday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Pirates notebook: Walker’s razor a right-handed swing solution
- Pirates conclude wild suspended game with win, drop 2nd of series
- Pirates notebook: Rivalry with Reds resumes
- Previewing Wednesday’s Pirates-Reds game
- Pirates notebook: Wandy Rodriguez experiencing decline in fastball velocity
- Cueto gets best of Pirates, as Reds capture series from rival
- Previewing Saturday’s Pirates-Brewers game
- Biertempfel: Expect less yelling with MLB’s replay system
- Pirates gameday