Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Wednesday will be Wainwright's 23rd start but the first time he'll face the Pirates this season. In 19 career outings (15 starts) vs. the Pirates, Wainwright is 8-4, including a 5-1 record at PNC Park. The righty has yielded 18 walks, the fewest among NL starters with 100-plus IP. Wainwright did not issue a walk over his first 34 2⁄3 IP this season — the second-longest streak by a Cardinals pitcher since 1900.
• Through Monday, catcher Yadier Molina (59 games) and outfielder Matt Holliday (50 games) had appeared in more games at PNC Park than any of their Cardinals teammates. Molina had a .330 batting average and .835 OPS on the North Shore. Holliday had a .302 average and a .839 OPS.
• The Pirates said Tuesday they still are evaluating medical reports on catcher Michael McKenry's sprained left knee. McKenry is not eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 12. If surgery is necessary, he likely will be out for the season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Improved Tabata rejoins Pirates roster
- Pace-of-play rules are catching on with Pirates this season
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Starting 9: Should Pirates maximize McCutchen window by trading for a star?
- Pirates minor league report: Moroff showing his moves at plate
- Pirates’ prospect Taillon returns to mound following surgery