Scouting Wednesday's Pirates-Cardinals game
Wednesday will be Wainwright's 23rd start but the first time he'll face the Pirates this season. In 19 career outings (15 starts) vs. the Pirates, Wainwright is 8-4, including a 5-1 record at PNC Park. The righty has yielded 18 walks, the fewest among NL starters with 100-plus IP. Wainwright did not issue a walk over his first 34 2⁄3 IP this season — the second-longest streak by a Cardinals pitcher since 1900.
• Through Monday, catcher Yadier Molina (59 games) and outfielder Matt Holliday (50 games) had appeared in more games at PNC Park than any of their Cardinals teammates. Molina had a .330 batting average and .835 OPS on the North Shore. Holliday had a .302 average and a .839 OPS.
• The Pirates said Tuesday they still are evaluating medical reports on catcher Michael McKenry's sprained left knee. McKenry is not eligible to come off the DL until Aug. 12. If surgery is necessary, he likely will be out for the season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- How the Pirates put together another postseason contender
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- Fans connect with their beloved Pirates through homemade signs
- NL wild-card game notebook: Pirates understand hype surrounding Cubs
- NL wild-game game players to watch
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Cubs’ youth movement pays dividends, leads to postseason berth
- Maddon, Hurdle are the models for modern major-league managers
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Pirates notebook: Huntington weighs whether wild-card round should be expanded
- Pirates notebook: Kang’s injury prompts Hurdle to suggest re-examining slide rules