Pirates notebook: No plan to call up Lambo
Outfielder Andrew Lambo has hit a total of 31 homers with Triple-A Indianapolis and Double-A Altoona, which is tops in the minor leagues this season. But don't expect to see him in right field anytime soon with the Pirates.
On Wednesday, manager Clint Hurdle said Jose Tabata and Alex Presley will continue to get opportunities to win the starting role. For now, Lambo, who is not on the 40-man roster, will remain in Indy.
“We've got two young players who we're trying to find out what their ceilings and capabilities are,” Hurdle said. “Once you bring up another player and put him in front of those guys, you're obviously sending a message to those guys.”
Lambo, 25, was acquired in July 2010 when Octavio Dotel was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers. He was on the 40-man roster and took part in big league spring training in 2011, but he didn't impress. He's spent parts of the past six seasons in Double-A.
“We're so happy for (Lambo's) development,” Hurdle said. “I still want to give (Presley and Tabata) more reps to see if they can establish traction out there.”
Josh Harrison started in right field Wednesday, but Hurdle said he is not in the mix for the everyday job. Travis Snider is on the disabled list until at least Monday with left big toe discomfort.
Left-hander Wandy Rodriguez (left forearm tightness) is scheduled to throw a short (25 pitches maximum) bullpen session Saturday at Coors Field.
Rodriguez made a few throws Wednesday from the front slope of the mound. “He's finished with a major part of his throwing progression,” Hurdle said. “It was a real good day for Wandy today.”
Harrison's rare feat
Harrison's pinch-hit, walk-off homer Tuesday to beat the Miami Marlins was the first by a Pirate since Craig Wilson went deep Sept. 3, 2001. Wilson went deep in the second game of a doubleheader off Milwaukee Brewers right-hander Chad Fox.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Trade movement confidence booster for Morse
- Rossi: Pirates foolish to bet on Burnett return
- Pirates pitcher Burnett could return in 4 weeks
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 4, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Cubs, August 3, 2015
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015