Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Rockies game
Pirates SPs posted a 1.69 ERA last week in a three-game series against the Rockies at PNC Park. The highlight was Burnett's complete-game victory, the 23rd of his career. Burnett has been charged with two or fewer earned runs in each of his past seven starts. The righty has struck out nine batters in each of his past two outings and is averaging 9.86 whiffs per nine innings pitched. Burnett has not won a road game since June 8.
• In 39 career games against the Pirates, Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzky has batted .366 with 10 doubles, one triple, seven HRs, 21 RBI and a 1.015 OPS. He owns the highest batting average against the Pirates among active players with at least 150 plate appearances. Rounding out the top five are Adrian Beltre (.362), Albert Pujols (.360), J.J. Hardy (.351) and Hanley Ramirez (.344)..
Here's more evidence the January trade that sent OF Quincy Latimore to the Indians for RHP Jeanmar Gomez was a masterstroke. Latimore hit .231 in 81 games at Double-A before Cleveland released him July 18. Latimore, 24, now is playing for the Washington Wild Things of the independent Frontier League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Starting 9: Pirates missing out on young bat
- Pirates minor league report: Ramirez more mindful while at plate
- Locke pitches 8 scoreless innings as Pirates edge Indians
- Biertempfel: Loss of All-Star paper ballots a blow to nostalgia
- Pirates trust eye test when voting for all-stars
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Indians, July 5, 2015