Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Rockies game
Pirates SPs posted a 1.69 ERA last week in a three-game series against the Rockies at PNC Park. The highlight was Burnett's complete-game victory, the 23rd of his career. Burnett has been charged with two or fewer earned runs in each of his past seven starts. The righty has struck out nine batters in each of his past two outings and is averaging 9.86 whiffs per nine innings pitched. Burnett has not won a road game since June 8.
• In 39 career games against the Pirates, Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzky has batted .366 with 10 doubles, one triple, seven HRs, 21 RBI and a 1.015 OPS. He owns the highest batting average against the Pirates among active players with at least 150 plate appearances. Rounding out the top five are Adrian Beltre (.362), Albert Pujols (.360), J.J. Hardy (.351) and Hanley Ramirez (.344)..
Here's more evidence the January trade that sent OF Quincy Latimore to the Indians for RHP Jeanmar Gomez was a masterstroke. Latimore hit .231 in 81 games at Double-A before Cleveland released him July 18. Latimore, 24, now is playing for the Washington Wild Things of the independent Frontier League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates show depth in earning victory over Rockies; Polanco has big night
- Pirates notebook: Catcher Cervelli among ejection leaders
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 29, 2015
- Pirates turn nifty double play in 9th, edge Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 24, 2015
- Pirates’ offense in sync during 2nd-half surge
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery