Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Rockies game
Pirates SPs posted a 1.69 ERA last week in a three-game series against the Rockies at PNC Park. The highlight was Burnett's complete-game victory, the 23rd of his career. Burnett has been charged with two or fewer earned runs in each of his past seven starts. The righty has struck out nine batters in each of his past two outings and is averaging 9.86 whiffs per nine innings pitched. Burnett has not won a road game since June 8.
• In 39 career games against the Pirates, Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzky has batted .366 with 10 doubles, one triple, seven HRs, 21 RBI and a 1.015 OPS. He owns the highest batting average against the Pirates among active players with at least 150 plate appearances. Rounding out the top five are Adrian Beltre (.362), Albert Pujols (.360), J.J. Hardy (.351) and Hanley Ramirez (.344)..
Here's more evidence the January trade that sent OF Quincy Latimore to the Indians for RHP Jeanmar Gomez was a masterstroke. Latimore hit .231 in 81 games at Double-A before Cleveland released him July 18. Latimore, 24, now is playing for the Washington Wild Things of the independent Frontier League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- A field day on social media as Pirates’ Rodriguez attacks Gatorade cooler
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Starkey: Pirates gaining bad big-game rep
- Pirates notebook: Tempers boil after Arrieta beaned
- Pirates no match for Cubs, Arrieta in wild-card loss
- Managers opt for different strategies in wild-card contest
- Cubs’ Fowler, Schwarber deliver to sink Pirates
- Cubs’ Arrieta, Pirates’ Cole leave batters with little margin for error
- Rossi: Time for Pirates to take next step
- Pirates, Cubs get hit by pitches more frequently than other NL teams