Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Rockies game
Pirates SPs posted a 1.69 ERA last week in a three-game series against the Rockies at PNC Park. The highlight was Burnett's complete-game victory, the 23rd of his career. Burnett has been charged with two or fewer earned runs in each of his past seven starts. The righty has struck out nine batters in each of his past two outings and is averaging 9.86 whiffs per nine innings pitched. Burnett has not won a road game since June 8.
• In 39 career games against the Pirates, Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzky has batted .366 with 10 doubles, one triple, seven HRs, 21 RBI and a 1.015 OPS. He owns the highest batting average against the Pirates among active players with at least 150 plate appearances. Rounding out the top five are Adrian Beltre (.362), Albert Pujols (.360), J.J. Hardy (.351) and Hanley Ramirez (.344)..
Here's more evidence the January trade that sent OF Quincy Latimore to the Indians for RHP Jeanmar Gomez was a masterstroke. Latimore hit .231 in 81 games at Double-A before Cleveland released him July 18. Latimore, 24, now is playing for the Washington Wild Things of the independent Frontier League.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Struggling Pirates SS Mercer finding himself out on infield’s left side
- Pirates notebook: Marte gets earful from Hurdle about lazy play
- Rossi: Hurdle needs better players, not blame
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Mets, May 22, 2015
- Streaking Cubs defeat punchless Pirates, 4-1
- Polanco’s gaffe provides unlikely end to Pirates’ loss to Cubs
- Mauer’s 13th-inning homer spells doom for Pirates in home loss
- Pirates notebook: Morton nears return after strong rehab outing
- Alvarez’s homer into river not enough for Pirates in loss to Twins
- Improved Tabata rejoins Pirates roster
- Hamels, Phillies slow down Pirates