Pirates will bring up Lambo; sign Shoppach to minor league deal
The Pirates announced Monday they will call up outfielder Andrew Lambo from Triple-A Indianapolis on Tuesday when the club opens a three-game series in St. Louis. The Pirates have not announced a corresponding roster move.
The decision to purchase Lambo's contract from Triple-A Indianapolis is a roster move designed to strengthen an offense that has struggled to produce runs throughout much of the season. Lambo, who turned 25 on Sunday, has hit a combined 31 home runs between Double-A and Triple-A this season, the most home runs by a player in the organization and the highest among all players in the minors.
Lambo wrote on his Facebook page Monday, “WE GOING TO THE BURGH!!!!”
Lambo figures to see time in right field, which has been a problem area for the Pirates. The team's right fielders have combined for a .662 OPS this season, ranking ahead of only Houston in the major leagues.
Lambo has hit .278 with 17 home runs in 59 games with Indianapolis. He has struck out 123 times in 117 games.
After the Pirates were unable to add a bat before the trade deadline, Lambo figured to be one of the best internal options to improve the offense.
To be eligible for the postseason, a player must appear on a MLB roster before Sept. 1.
Lambo is left-handed, meaning his power will play better at PNC Park, which features shorter dimensions to his pull side.
Lambo was acquired by the Pirates from the Dodgers on July 31, 2010, with pitcher James McDonald in exchange for pitcher Octavio Dotel.
A fourth-round pick in the 2007 draft, Lambo has a career .802 OPS in six minor league seasons. He has spent part of six seasons at the Double-A level.
Notes: The Indianapolis Indians announced they reached an agreement on a two-year extension to remain the Pirates' Triple-A affiliate through 2016. They have been affiliated with the Pirates since 2005. ... The Pirates announced the signing of veteran catcher Kelly Shoppach, 33, to a minor league contract. Shoppach will report to Triple-A Indianapolis.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Reds solve Cole, stave off Pirates’ 9th-inning rally
- Starting 9: Examining Pirates’ deadline decisions
- Pirates notebook: New acquisition Happ more than happy to fill spot in rotation
- Biertempfel: Players, MLB agree logic of season’s setup needs to be examined
- Pirates farmhand Suchy learns limits of his size, strength
- Gameday: Pirates at Reds, Aug. 2, 2015
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Gameday: Pirates at Cincinnati, Aug. 1, 2015