Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Rockies game
• Pirates left-hander Jeff Locke is hoping to improve his command Saturday. He's walked at least three in six of his last seven starts. Locke is winless in his last four outings. Locke has the fifth-worst walk rate in baseball (4.27 walks per nine innings), better than only Edinson Volquez, Erik Bedard, Ubaldo Jimenez and Lucas Harrell.
• Diamondback's starter Trevor Cahill is 1-1 with a 2.84 ERA in 12 1⁄3 career innings against the Pirates. While Cahill has won just three games this season, he still generates plenty of groundballs as he's had one of the game's best sinking fastballs throughout his career. If he had enough innings to qualify, Cahill would rank second in the major leageus with a 57.7 percent groundball rate.
• ESPN passed over the Pirates when picking matchups for its Sunday Night Baseball broadcasts through Sept. 15. The only game yet to be decided is the final broadcast Sept. 22, when the Pirates play host to the Reds. However, the Steelers already are slated to play at Heinz Field that night, which leaves the Pirates out in the cold. Having the two pro teams playing at the same time would create a logistical nightmare on the North Shore.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole overcomes rough start as Pirates sweep Brewers
- Pirates notebook: GM sticking to plan with Kang
- Pirates notebook: Is it time for Kang to head to Indy?
- Pirates minor league report: Rapid advancement to test Tucker
- Biertempfel: Low turnover helps keep Pirates’ chemistry intact
- Pirates love home cooking provided at PNC Park
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 19, 2015
- Marte jump-starts Pirates in win over Brewers
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 17, 2015
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Brewers, April 18, 2015
- Sanchez odd man out with Pirates recalling Stewart