Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Diamondbacks game
• The Diamondbacks are really good at that comeback thing. They lead the majors with 26 wins in their final at-bat, ahead of the Royals and Red Sox (19 apiece). Arizona is second in the NL with 35 comeback victories behind the Braves (38). Before arriving in Pittsburgh, the D-backs swept the Orioles — winning all three games in walk-off fashion. It's the third time in franchise history, and first time since 2007, that they've done it.
• Arizona 2B Aaron Hill is streaking, with six multi-hit efforts in his past eight games. In that span, he's batted (13 for 30) with three HRs and 11 RBI. Hill homered in three straight games Aug. 10-12 and produced a career-best five straight multi-hit games Aug. 7-12.
• Andrew McCutchen moved into the top spot Friday on USA Today's National League MVP tracker. McCutchen's .417 batting average of his previous 18 games and 6.4 wins over replacement boosted him ahead of Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw (6.1 WAR).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole shuts down Diamondbacks as Pirates open road trip with victory
- Pirates notebook: McCutchen unfazed by return to Arizona
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 25, 2015
- Pirates look to continue success in cross-country trips
- Polanco, bullpen come up clutch as Pirates capture win over Cubs
- Cubs’ rookie third baseman Bryant helps send Pirates to defeat
- Pirates notebook: Marte, McCutchen out of starting lineup in series finale
- Gameday: Pirates at Diamondbacks, April 24, 2015