Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Diamondbacks game
• The Diamondbacks are really good at that comeback thing. They lead the majors with 26 wins in their final at-bat, ahead of the Royals and Red Sox (19 apiece). Arizona is second in the NL with 35 comeback victories behind the Braves (38). Before arriving in Pittsburgh, the D-backs swept the Orioles — winning all three games in walk-off fashion. It's the third time in franchise history, and first time since 2007, that they've done it.
• Arizona 2B Aaron Hill is streaking, with six multi-hit efforts in his past eight games. In that span, he's batted (13 for 30) with three HRs and 11 RBI. Hill homered in three straight games Aug. 10-12 and produced a career-best five straight multi-hit games Aug. 7-12.
• Andrew McCutchen moved into the top spot Friday on USA Today's National League MVP tracker. McCutchen's .417 batting average of his previous 18 games and 6.4 wins over replacement boosted him ahead of Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw (6.1 WAR).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Pirates cut ties with Davis, clearing path for Alvarez to play first base
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pirates notebook: Pirates open to signing Walker to extension
- Pirates notebook: Team ‘more relevant’ as Winter Meetings end
- Pirates finalize Liriano’s 3-year, $39 million deal