Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Diamondbacks game
• The Diamondbacks are really good at that comeback thing. They lead the majors with 26 wins in their final at-bat, ahead of the Royals and Red Sox (19 apiece). Arizona is second in the NL with 35 comeback victories behind the Braves (38). Before arriving in Pittsburgh, the D-backs swept the Orioles — winning all three games in walk-off fashion. It's the third time in franchise history, and first time since 2007, that they've done it.
• Arizona 2B Aaron Hill is streaking, with six multi-hit efforts in his past eight games. In that span, he's batted (13 for 30) with three HRs and 11 RBI. Hill homered in three straight games Aug. 10-12 and produced a career-best five straight multi-hit games Aug. 7-12.
• Andrew McCutchen moved into the top spot Friday on USA Today's National League MVP tracker. McCutchen's .417 batting average of his previous 18 games and 6.4 wins over replacement boosted him ahead of Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw (6.1 WAR).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Alvarez, Cole lead Pirates past Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle mulling rotation options
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Rockies, Aug. 28, 2015
- Pirates notebook: Former 1st-round pick Tucker has shoulder surgery
- Pirates erupt for 6-run 2nd, maul Marlins behind Locke, McCutchen
- Pirates notebook: Burnett’s simulated game goes well
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 27, 2015
- Lacking 2 of his pitches, Pirates’ Morton can’t find rhythm in loss to Marlins
- Gameday: Pirates at Marlins, Aug. 26, 2015
- Comebacker risk forces pitchers to balance safety, comfort
- Mercer, Harrison likely to return vs. Giants, creating left-side logjam