Scouting Sunday's Pirates-Diamondbacks game
• The Diamondbacks are really good at that comeback thing. They lead the majors with 26 wins in their final at-bat, ahead of the Royals and Red Sox (19 apiece). Arizona is second in the NL with 35 comeback victories behind the Braves (38). Before arriving in Pittsburgh, the D-backs swept the Orioles — winning all three games in walk-off fashion. It's the third time in franchise history, and first time since 2007, that they've done it.
• Arizona 2B Aaron Hill is streaking, with six multi-hit efforts in his past eight games. In that span, he's batted (13 for 30) with three HRs and 11 RBI. Hill homered in three straight games Aug. 10-12 and produced a career-best five straight multi-hit games Aug. 7-12.
• Andrew McCutchen moved into the top spot Friday on USA Today's National League MVP tracker. McCutchen's .417 batting average of his previous 18 games and 6.4 wins over replacement boosted him ahead of Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw (6.1 WAR).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Pirates SS prospect Tucker making progress after thumb surgery
- For Pirates, NL Central test just got tougher
- Pirates’ voluntary minicamp opens up without Pedro Alvarez
- Pirates starting pitcher Morton fine-tunes his delivery after surgery
- Kang says he ‘can play better’ than Pirates current SS Mercer
- Korean star Kang could be financial windfall for Pirates
- Pirates shift times on 5 games, including rescheduling 2 fireworks nights