Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Giants game
• Francisco Liriano is mostly an unknown to the Giants, who have combined for just a .257 average in 35 at bats against the Pirates' left-hander. But according to Fangraphs.com, the Giants have three hitters who rank among the top 20 in baseball in success against sliders — Buster Posey, Marco Scutaro and Hunter Pence — and the slider is Liriano's best pitch. Posey, Scutaro and Pence are also right-handed hitters.
• Pirates first baseman Garret Jones will be happy to see Tim Lincecum on the mound Saturday. Jones has a career 1.000 OPS and two home runs in 15 career at bats against Linecum, who hasn't been his Cy Young self since losing velocity over the last several seasons.
• The Pirates are expected to decide Sunday on plans for their rotation for the upcoming week. Pirates manager Clint Hurdle indicated rookie Gerrit Cole could have a start skipped as the club plans to manage his workload.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Former Pirates pitcher Happ agrees to $36 million, 3-year deal with Blue Jays
- Pirates protect top prospects in advance of Rule 5 draft
- Pirates, Orioles had trade talks involving 2B Walker
- Rossi: Baseball should retire Roberto Clemente’s No. 21
- Pirates sign independent league pitcher