Scouting the Giants
Published: Thursday, Aug. 22, 2013, 8:00 p.m.
• A key matchup for Charlie Morton will be against Giants' left-hand hitter Angel Pagan. Pagan is 9 for 12 in his career against Morton. Morton has essentially been a two-pitch pitcher since returning from Tommy John surgery. Morton has an excellent sinker and curveball but no weapon to combat left-handed hitters. Morton said the next step for him is to work in more changeups to better neutralize left-handed hitters. Lefties are batting .320 against Morton this season. Righties are hitting .250.
• Giants starter Madison Bumgarner has enjoyed success against the Pirates. The Pirates' roster has a collective .229 average against him in their careers. Bumgarner is tough on left-handers as he uses a nearly sidearm motion with his 6-foot-5 frame to create tough angles.
• The Rays reportedly claimed David DeJesus on waivers Thursday, which means the Pirates passed on claiming the veteran outfielder. DeJesus is batting .248 with six homers in 86 games this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates claim 3 pitchers in minor league Rule 5 draft
- Pirates agree with Barmes on 1-year deal
- Pirates not yet talking extensions with Alvarez, Walker
- Pirates sign free agent pitcher Volquez
- First base options thinning as winter meetings go on
- Pirates sign Morton to 3-year extension
- Ex-Pirate Jones close to signing with Marlins
- Pirates notebook: Polanco ruled out as Opening Day option