Scouting Friday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• Young Cardinals right-hander Shelby Miller has an electric arm but he lacks a changeup to combat left-handed hitting. Right-handed batters are hitting just .188 off Miller this season but lefties are batting .266 and have homered 10 times. Miller is throwing his fastball 75 percent of the time. He throws his curve at a 20 percent rate, but throws a changeup only 5 percent of the time. Essentially, Miller is a two-pitch pitcher.
• Pirates starter Francisco Liriano is hoping to recapture the form he had Aug. 14 against the Cardinals when he allowed just one run in a complete-game effort. Liriano is coming off a rocky outing at San Francisco, when he struggled with command. No Cardinals regular has more than eight career at bats against Liriano.
• Free agent-to-be A.J. Burnett said prior to the season that he would consider retirement at the end of the campaign. Asked if he'd come to a resolution on his future, Burnett said he was only thinking ahead as far as his next start.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Martin’s homer rescues Pirates in 4-2 victory over Brewers
- Pirates notebook: Morton scratched from Sunday’s start
- Saturday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Rossi: The series that will define these Pirates
- Stats speak: Sliders stand between Pirates, playoffs
- Pirates notebook: Bucs batters seeing doubles
- Friday’s scouting report: Brewers at Pirates
- Pirates hold on to beat Red Sox, complete 3-game sweep at PNC
- Rare triple play sparks Pirates’ comeback victory over Cubs
- Pirates analyst Kent Tekulve recovering after heart transplant