Scouting Saturday's Pirates-Cardinals game
• Reliever John Axford flew out of Pittsburgh on Thursday night with the Brewers, but had to turn around and come back to PNC Park on Friday after being traded to the Cardinals. Axford is 6-7 with a 4.45 ERA in 62 outings (54 2⁄3 IP). A former closer, Axford has 106 saves in 126 career opportunities, including 46 saves in 2011. This year, he ranked second on the Brewers with 19 holds and will continue to pitch in a setup role with the Cardinals.
• Going into Friday's game, the Cardinals' bullpen was best in the majors in inherited runners scored (23.1 percent). The Diamondbacks and Yankees were tied for second (23.4 percent). Seth Maness (15.6) and Randy Choate (17.4) ranked third and fifth, respectively, among qualifying NL relievers.
• RHP Jeff Karstens has progressed to playing catch at Pirate City in Bradenton, Fla., as he recovers from shoulder surgery. Karstens will be a free agent this offseason and wants to play winter ball in the Dominican Republic to try to land a contract. He's open to returning to the Pirates, though that would seem to be a long shot.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- MLB notebook: Pirates’ Liriano gets $2 million bonus as part of 3-year, $39 million deal
- Ex-Pirate Parker fights against Parkinson’s with optimistic attitude
- Pirates notebook: New catcher Cervelli eager to bond with staff
- Pirates trade for left-handed reliever Bastardo